Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thumb

digger104 ยท 2011-05-11 21:54

I have purchased a SK 120 LC 1V. I do not have it yet, but I would like to install a thumb and have it here when the machine arrives. My question is what size should I buy. The dealer that I made the purchase from has a 36" and in the literature it says that it will fit like a cat 312 -315. Is this thumb big enough. thanks. Oh this will be a manual thumb.

Replies4
  1. #1Mud Dauber2011-05-12 07:01

    I hope you are very cautious who you buy from, heres our experiance. In December we bought two Thumbs from Aim, one went on a 120 class LR, and the other on a 200 class. Well we took both machines to a tree removal job along a Ditch, REMEMBER these are Trees, well in less than eight hours we had the 200 class thumb distroyed! The pins were bent so bad we had to have the local Welder come out and cut them out, bent the boss welded to the stick. and broke out the bushings that the pins go thru, completely ruined it! The Company sent a new pin and bushing and wouldn't do anything more, it's twisted so bad that you can't put it back together, well needless to say we cut it ALL off for the scrape pile and bought a REEL Thumb for that machine. Ask lots O questions before your purchase, and be very careful who you buy from, it's your money! This was our experiance, your mileage may very. HTH Dave

  2. #2roadrunner812011-05-12 12:04

    Have someone local make one for you if your not capable.

  3. #3Wardiker2011-05-12 15:58

    Thats what I did, cost me $700.00 and very strong.

  4. #4wolf442011-05-12 18:08

    I have a fair understanding of thumbs and thier issues. Is this going to manual or hydraulic ? might want to look at one of my threads about my 312 cl thumb ( ) Done wrong it can be REAL expensive. Done right it can be really expensive!!!!! I can tell you that on my rebuild after a bad thumb install by the orginal owner it cost me $1500.00 for line boring about $2000.00 for bushing seals and ect and a hundred or so hours in my machine shop making new shafts to fix the problem. Dont think just because they got a "good " name in the industry they have any idea what they are doing. Look at the design and think it thru. But all this being said I could not live with out a thumb.