I could use some help. Don't know much about Hydraulics, probably have a lot of misconceptions. We just we just got a Zaxis 135us and the thumb uses a foot valve that the book says is for a breaker but it works fine. The boss wants a joystick with the thumb on a button. The foot valve is a pilot valve with 4 ports- P,T,1,2. I think P is pressure and T is tank or return. So do 1 and 2 work the spool in the main valve bank? All our other machines came with Parker directional valves to operate the thumbs and the grapple rotates. There a 4 ports on these valves and they may be labeled the same P,T,1,2 or maybe A,B- don't remember. What I'm hoping is, can the foot valve be directly replaced with the solenoid valve? If it can, is there a good place to tap into keyed power? All the other machines have been wired directly off the batteries. Any help greatly appreciated. I've attached parts book pics of the foot valve and the hydraulic diagram for the breaker. Also the link to the Parker valve pdf. Parker valve specs
Rob, pm me your email and Ill send you what I set up
You got a Zaxis with a thumb, with a foot valve that's for a breaker, but it works fine. Yes, if it works fine, then the foot valve works double acting, opens and closes the thumb via the main control valve. However, that is not proper for a breaker, which you may never use so it could be a mute point, but for a FYI, the return line on a breaker should never go through the main control valve, it should go straight to tank. Now, back to your question, do away with the foot valve and replace with a 4 way solenoid valve operated by controls on a joystick. Yes, this is do-able. But, it ain't that simple. To properly operate a thumb this way, it can't be done with a simple 4 way valve, it needs to have proportional abilities to work proper. Which means you need a proportional 4 way valve and a joystick control that has proportional capabilities. I suggest you contact a supplier for auxiliary kits, whichever you chose. One I can think of is Hydraulic Circuit Technology (HCT Kits), talk to Bobby Hudson, but there are plenty others you could choose.
Yes, all you really need is a pilot valve like the parker one shown and a handle w/ switches. It's up to you if you want proportional controls or not. We installed thumbs for yrs w/ simple on off micro switches (Sure grip, Cybertec, Munson Tyson, and Cat). I know Pape' installed HKX kits in all the machines before they came pre-wired. The HKX handle is the same as what comes in the Cat mini's. I say do away with the foot valve and remove the pilot lines at the pilot signal manifold. Plumb new hoses from the signal manifold to the new solenoid valve and wire it up. The diverter valve for hammer/hoepac use should still work just fine. There should be a spare key on power wire behind the fuse box to tie into also. Swing into Pape' in Kent and talk to Squeak. He can likely give you a copy of the HKX install manual for a 135. It would show you all you need for wiring and plumbing. I might even have one somewhere too if needed.
Willy, I assume the breaker pedal can be used for other functions?- they just showed it as a breaker control in the book. Edit: Looking at the diagram again, it labels the spool as an auxiliary. I missed that. I think I understand a 3-way, Center off-normal, right left open. Is that right? I don't understands how a 4-way works? "Proportional"- does that mean the flow/speed varies? We have 5 other machines with thumbs and they are either "off or on". Maybe we don't need proportional? Deeretracks, I'd rather not run lines to the signal manifold- Have you seen these new (to us) machines? There's little room/access. I think it's possible to use the existing hoses- and the solenoid valve would be easy to run wires to if it takes the spot of the pedal valve. AndrewC- PM sent. Thanks for the replies.
Yes I have seen these machines, we have owned 8 Zaxis machines and I plumbed countless more when I worked at Pape'. Every one we did had the pilot lines plumbed into the pilot signal manifold. Your foot valve should already be plumbed into the "PSM" and the lines from the PSM to the AUX spool are already there. You could just mount the solenoid valve under the cab. Then hook your P,T,A,& B hoses from the foot valve directly to the solenoid valve. Should be really easy. It's up to you about the proportional hyd. it's plumbed the same but uses different solenoids and a handle w/ a control box. They are real easy to install but almost double the cost. A couple places locally to get your handle http://www.phtinc.com/ I really like their Sure grip handles. Or, http://www.hkx.com/ has really good kits. I found my 135 install manual if you have any specific questions.
You should run through the pilot shuttle manifold because it tells the computer that a function is being operated and that the engine speed should come up and maybe pump flow is affected. In your photo you only show the solenoid valve. Keep in mind you need a manifold block underneath it to route the oil flow. I've also installed the solenoid valve and left the foot valve in place and hooked up so you can run proportional control if you want feel for some other attachment. Deeretracks is spot on about talking to some one at Pape. I used to get parts from Hydraulic Industries in Auburn, (253) 351-0777.
Tim and Todd are good folks at Hyd Industries.
Your right about the manifold John. Didn't think about that. If the foot valve is already connected to the "pilot shuttle manifold", shouldn't that take care of things? All I'd be doing is replacing a mechanical control valve with a solenoid one? I talked to Dustin at Mt Vernon Pape. He seems to think swapping valves would work. Edit: I should probably talk to HPF. They built the thumb, not sure if they installed it.
Those hoses are already hooked to the pilot signal manifold so you could just use the existing hoses. As long as its two way flow for the thumb because hammer is only one way. Also you are correct if you use the hoses it will work with auto idle.
Yes, you can talk to Wendle at HPF but it doesn't sound like they would have done anything but install the thumb and hook up to the lines already on the stick from the factory. There should be a manual diverter valve mounted on the RH side of the machine by the main control valve that switches from one way flow to two way flow since that foot valve is designed for use with a hammer (1 way) or crusher (2 way). The pilot lines to the foot valve should be tee'd into the P & T hoses on the propel pilot valves according to the book.
Found a webpage which cleared up most of the confusion I had about the valve. Here
Rob, I know nothing about a Zaxis machine, and I can't zoom in clearly to see your hyd diagram, but if you're removing an existing foot controlled pilot valve and replacing it with a 4 way solenoid valve, you need to confirm if your existing foot controlled pilot valve is open center or closed center to know which solenoid valve to purchase.
You know what's funny, I think I understood what you said Will do...
That's a good thing.