So I may be getting into the Caterpillar Think Big program this fall if everything falls into place. I've gotten the application process in the pipeline and have done all my tests and such, just waiting to do the interview and see if I am selected for one of 8 spots. Fingers crossed. Anyway, has anybody been through it? Everything I've learned about it seems to be a pretty sweet program...it's a two year program...you go to school roughly half the year and work for the Cat dealership half the year. When you are working at the Cat dealership you get paid (and every semester brings a pay raise). Once you graduate you are employed by the Cat dealer and if you work for them for three years they reimburse your tuition. The dealerships and Cat donate machines to the school for the students to work on. The Cat dealer supplies you with basic tools (box, 1/4 to 1/2 drive sockets, ratchets, and wrenches, Fluke 87 multimeter, and I assume stuff like screwdrivers and torx/hex bits and such...the dealership guy said it is about $4500 worth of good quality tools) for a $100 paycheck deduction.
I did this about 14 years ago. It worked out real well, but after I graduated and went to work and things got slow at the dealership, mine were some of the first nuts to get cut. It worked out in the end because I got the schooling and experience and they basically paid for it. They offered us the tool kit, but I thought it was to pricey at the time. When I graduated, they only paid us about $10/h
I ended up getting into it and at this point am into my second semester at school. So far it's been a very good program and I'm learning a lot during the periods I work at the deal.
I went through it from 05-07. Sounds like you got a decent deal. They paid $2k of my tuition but I didn't get any kind of deal on tools through the dealer. Got bent over actually when they told me I had to buy the Fluke 87 from them for $400. I didn't know any better at the time. I learned a lot of background stuff that it would have taken a LONG time to learn by accident but don't expect to be an ace mechanic just as soon as you graduate.
Judging by your location you will be going through the Florence Darlington program working for blanchard. I graduated from the program there a few years ago. Jason is a great teacher and knows his stuff in and out. Steven has some knowledge but can be difficult to get along with at times. The apartments are about what you would expect, in a not so nice part of town, but we never had any safety or security concerns. Great program to get you started, however I maintain the stance that Caterpillar is a great place to learn but not always a great place to stay. Just one mans opinion, I now work at a komatsu dealer and get to do a wider variety of work for more pay than I did when working at Gregory Poole. And also keep in mind that there will be numerous times you will be working with someone in the shop and they will show you or tell you to do something that conflicts with how the cat book at school says to do it. these guys have been doing it for years and have reasons for what they do, the corporate way isn't always the best way.
Well, if ur talking about the same one I went to 5 years ago at OSU okmulgee ( and you may not be) but if u are, DONT GO! It was a joke! If the same Steven that was mentioned in the above post is the same plump snobby SOB I had to deal with give him a swift kick for me if ya see him. My dealership in Arkansas, which I am so happily NOT employed at anymore, had a lot to do with my miserable experience it looks like. We had to foot the whole tuition bill. The tool program was a joke n I didn't do it. Go to sears and buy the stuff they require u to have n go from there. Speaking of tuition, get used to goin to the admin office at the end of every semester to get your bills and loans squared away cuz them a-holes on their own will have ur paperwork so jacked up u won't believe it. Also, if they showed u the dorms with the private rooms, guess wut?! U don't stay in them till u went a few semesters and stayed in the one room-two bed dorms. I was so shocked and pissed the first night I got there I slept in my truck as opposed to sleeping next to a complete stranger. As far as the pay goes, when I started out I was making less than I was drawing max unemployment from a millwright job that shut down. It was actually costing me money to work there the first simmer but I knew I wanted to be a field mechanic and this was the quickest way to get there, and it was. I guess if u still live with mom n dad it's not bad but if ur like me n had a wife n bills to pay, don't do it, u will all but starve. Sorry to ramble, just giving my honest opinion, not wanting to start a conflict. Good luck either way!
Yeah the apartments are OK, tolerable. I don't mind it too much, I have a good group of roommates and we all get along pretty well. No issues so far, even stays quieter than I expected when I first moved down in the first semester. I don't have a quarrel with either Jason or Steven. As far as the school way and the corporate way vs. the mechanic's way, I definitely have experienced that. I've got an excellent mentor and I learn a lot from him. I look at the school as a way to learn the basics, especially stuff like electrical, and working under a mentor as the way to actually learn how to do it and put the book knowledge to use. So far I think it's a pretty decent experience and the company has treated me pretty well. I don't know what the future holds, of course, I can definitely understand why people have left for better opportunities for them. Wow I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience, that sounds like it sucks. I'm at a different school. So far my dealership and the school has been completely upfront and honest. The only issues I've had is administrative, they don't have a clue here either. But the actual program and working have been good. I agree it's hard to make ends meet while in the program, but the job I left wasn't exactly a winner in the pay dept either.
Glad ur having a good time! Just a warning to anyone else looking into thing big at OSU... There are better options I wish I knew about then!
Congrats
I was one of the last classes to go through TSTC for Think Big. I had heard from some of the later ones that the OSU program isn't that great.
ThinkBig JD955SC, The Caterpillar program has many advantages over a generic type of diesel program. Being employed while going to school is a great way to go. Plus, the curriculum is current with technology, the training aids are great and you will have access to proprietary OEM software and information systems. ThinkBig graduates are in demand by not only the sponsoring dealership, but Caterpillar customers and contractors. It costs a lot of money to operate a quality diesel/heavy equipment program. Besides the tuition that you have to pay, the sponsoring dealer also chips in a couple grand to the college for each student they enroll. I could go on about it for many paragraphs, but I'll keep it short. In a former life, I was the ThinkBig coordinator for a large dealership on the West coast. I'm very familiar with the program from a dealership prospective. Happy to answer any questions you have. I'll mention one more advantage to ThinkBig that may surprise you. Since I left the dealership world, I have been teaching at a school with a generic diesel program. I am at many times, frustrated with the large population of druggies, registered sex offenders, and heavy drinkers I end up with as students. Its a huge distraction and safety issue, but the school gives me very little leeway to deal with it. My good students who are serious about learning are getting ripped off because they have to put up with the derelicts. Your Cat dealer will do back ground and drug testing to keep the derelicts out of the program,so you will have better classmates vs a generic program. My .2 cents. I hope you get selected. Good luck. Coaldust
I wish I could attend the Think Big program, but since they only offer it in certain states and I live in NJ, I'm stuck taking a generic diesel program. Do I have any opportunities in a career in heavy equipment with a certificate in diesel technology instead of the degree that the Think Big program offers? There's a Ransome CAT dealership about 20 minutes from me and I emailed them this same question and they haven't gotten back to me in over a week. So that's nice of them. Bottomline, I'm just hoping this 18 month diesel program will get me where I want to be in my career. I'm not all that interested in working on semi-trucks, my goal is working on equipment like CAT, Deere, Komatsu, ect. It doesn't necessarily even have to be a dealership either, just lemme work on the big stuff.
What I would do is go around to the various dealers and talk to them about it. Emails don't show much commitment, anyone can dash off an email. Showing up in person shows you have initiative. You may still wind up spending a few years getting some experience working on tractor trailers before moving on the construction equipment. Bottom line, consider any opportunity to get your foot in the door, you can always move to a different segment of the industry once you get that crucial experience.
Where we are a diesel tech degree will definitely help get into the construction side of things. Here they will start you on basic engine diagnostics and teach you as you go in the rest of the machine systems.
Generic Programs David B, There isn't anything wrong with a generic program at a good community college. Couple of important things to think about are to look for a program that is accredited by the Associated Equipment Distributors Foundation. That means that the program has been evaluated by industry professionals from the dealership world. It means that the program is teaching the right stuff. Second, it may not seem important now, but attend a program where you earn an Associates Degree. It says a lot about you and will help you later on down the road. One more thing, (and I don't want to create any butt hurt to alumni) please stay away from the private schools that advertise on the TV. They charge huge fees, are unaccredited, can't confer genuine degrees, and encourage students to take out huge student loans. They are diploma mills where everyone gets a prize as long as you pay your fees. That results in huge class sizes and less-than-steller class mates. Additionally, one particular huge private mechanic school chain is being investigated at the moment for securities fraud by the Feds for their student loan shenanigans. I hear they are for sale. I'm not surprised you didn't hear back from the dealership. Who knows where the Email went and the person that received it probably doesn't have the answer. Call Ransome and ask for the training manager or the recruiter. They will bend over backwards to help you. Cat dealers need solid people to enter the industry. Coaldust
Two year update... One month ago I graduated, and was subsequently hired on full time, permanent, at the dealership I was working at during my internship. It has been an interesting journey. Two years ago this time I was leaving my old job and getting my hiring stuff in order and getting ready for classes to start in August, and was one week away from orientation and starting working at the dealership. The time has flown by but I definitely have enjoyed it! Of course, even though I am done with the formal school the real learning is only just beginning. The members of this forum have definitely been an encouragement and I consider all of ya'll to be my mentors, I've learned a lot just browsing and searching on here.
Congrats. My part time help just started the think big program last week. Looks to be a great program
Thanks! Best of luck to him, it's definitely a great program. Hopefully he will have some of the same scholarship opportunities available to him, they had some tool scholarship for us and that was a real motivator for me.
Good job. A lot can be said for sticktoitiveness(my word) and effort. As you said now the real learning begins. We all learn constantly or die along the way. With your atitude you will do well. Go get em.
Ironically, In the past 2 years I decided to go back to school and am in Think Bigger out at Pittsburg state. If you ever think of getting out of wrenching it's a pretty awesome program. Right now I'm on my summer internship working as an equipment engineer for a massive construction project in DC. Only downside is you have to foot the whole bill for tuition.
Awesome, good job. I did the ThinkBIG program with Peterson CAT for only a year out of San Leandro, CA. It was an awesome program, amazing machinery and an awesome old main shop, built back in the 40's. I miss working there at times but since graduating diesel mechanic school out of Nashville, TN in 2009 its been my dream to get my own business off the ground and that's what I have done. It's really hard and consumes my life (I only have time for this forum on Sunday nights, haha) but I love it.
Sounds like you are on a good path! One of my classmates who was at the top decided to go on to the Think Bigger program. I had the urge to but I just couldn't swing the tuition (I already have a Bachelor's degree that I am paying loans on) and I was sick of being in school, plus I have an apartment with my girlfriend and it would completely mess that up.
Thanks! That's awesome that you own your own business, congratulations!
Hi, im looking at the program, and it seems like something i would like to do, i was wondering if there is anything that you think is important to know about the program. I'm a junior right now, and just looking to see what options i have, and if you have any other paths that you know of that i could look into more sense your in the trades, thanks if you see this.
Junior in HS? The Think Big program is ideal if you want to become a heavy equipment mechanic. It provides a great foundation and the associates degree is helpful for advancing up the career ladder as well. It is very good for taking you and giving you the seasoning to be successful in the shops as well because you get that graduated exposure to good mentors in the shop and learn the fundamentals of the systems and machines. My program ran on five 8 week school semesters and then in between semesters you spent 8-10 weeks in the shop. For us my dealer paid me back full tuition cost and furnished me with a starter set of quality tools that were mine. All I had to do to earn both of those benefits was work for the dealer for three years post graduation. In five years you will have a solid home in the Cat dealer you start out in and you will have experience anybody would kill for. Go ahead and get your ducks in a row by calling the ThinkBig recruiter for your local Cat dealer and let them know you have a serious interest in it and work on getting your spot secured early before there is competition. All you have to do to be successful is WANT to be a good apprentice and put in the work for it. It has been almost 10 years since I first started work and entered the program. In that time I became a solid mechanic and then became one of our in house training instructors. I have enjoyed almost every day of my career, which is more than most people can say.