Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thumb for Cat 311B

RobMonk ยท 2013-02-18 10:47

I am considering putting a thumb on my machine but obviously the dealer is too expensive. Since I posses all manner of plasma cutter and welder and a millwright friend, I decided to venture out and make my own. So far I have gone to the hydraulic supplier in the area and they have done custom thumb jobs in the past, so the lines and ram wont be a problem and of course the claw wont be a problem. The two things I am looking for are knowledge about possible problems surrounding hydraulic hook up to the machine and how would I control the thumb and perhaps if SIS has the measurements and diagrams for what they sell which would save me money on engineering. Ser# 8GR000397

Replies11
  1. #1johndeere1232013-02-18 13:50

    Did you get a price from atlantic cat yet? A friend of mine had one put on there and he said it was cheaper than if he built his own and plumbed it. That was for a 312D.

  2. #2mxsledder2013-02-18 14:02

    This is possible but would be very difficult!! All of the major thumb brands go through a lot of engineering to ensure durability and that all of the geometry is correct.

  3. #3RobMonk2013-02-18 20:28

    I did check with ATL Cat and they said "from $9-12k". TRC in Burnside said it would be around $1k for the lines and the ram. The only unknowns are the control and the line shapes.

  4. #4johndeere1232013-02-18 21:40

    You can usually find a decent thumb on Kijiji like this one. Then all you need is the lines and valve. http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-...zzly-HT1035-Hydralic-Thumb-W0QQAdIdZ457418482

  5. #5RobMonk2013-02-19 08:25

    Oh isnt that thing cute Its too small and I can build that part cheaper.

  6. #6millercross32013-02-19 13:50

    Is it possible to put an electric selenoid splitter valve. Have one for a grapple on our payloader...splits the dump/rollback with grapple...slick as a goose on green grass

  7. #7millercross32013-02-19 14:02

    If shipping wouldn't be such a pooper, there's a next to new easco bucket and thumb in Wyoming craigslist for 2grand. Best deals are always far far away in never never land

  8. #8johndeere1232013-02-19 21:00

    I would put a narrow thumb on my machine before I'd put a wide one on. I've seen quite a few come in bent because someone tried to pick up a rock or something with the outside edge of a wider thumb.

  9. #9RobMonk2013-02-19 22:10

    I was referring to the length, I agree on the width.

  10. #10johndeere1232013-02-20 09:32

    Are you looking for a foot valve or electric button valve on the joystick? I think someone is parting out a cat backhoe with a foot valve that you might be able to get fairly cheap.

  11. #11RobMonk2013-02-20 12:04

    I bought this excavator having never operated a machine in the past which means I really don't know what I want. Foot valve sounds ok. The only thing I need to know is will it work on my machine? I don't even know if there is plumbing anywhere for an aux.