Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thumb hydraulics

Willie B · 2021-09-02 21:21

I want a thumb. I have a new to me 2014 Case 580 super N. It has pilot controls, & is plumbed for a hammer. This means one way hydraulic flow for the hammer. Push a button, something like 40 GPM flows through the circuit. This would push the thumb down, It won't retract it. I don't know if it'll hold it there. How would I provide a hydraulic system for a thumb? Preferably, I want a port relief in the circuit.

Replies12
  1. #1Willie B2021-09-03 07:58

    It occurs to me an electric pump & electric control could be mounted on the stick to operate a thumb. Case advertising several years ago when they introduced the N series touted the fact ALL machines were set up for a thumb option. I guess this is too early for that.

  2. #2csthompson122021-09-03 08:37

    https://burlingtoninstallation.com/ This company specializes in Case hydraulic kits, and may be worth contacting. https://equipmentland.com/product/hydraulic-diverter-kit/ I was thinking of this diverter kit for mine, I like how it comes with the cylinder protection manifold. I think you could buy the parts cheaper elsewhere though.

  3. #3csthompson122021-09-03 08:38

    Nice backhoe, I’m surprised they don’t put a spare 2 way valve on these newer machines

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-09-03 09:07

    Would a diverter valve plumbed into a stabilizer circuit be feasible ? That is how I did mine and it works great.

  5. #5Willie B2021-09-04 20:26

    Reading brochures, I thought they did. They make a big deal that they are thumb ready & Case offers a factory, or dealer add on thumb. This machine had extra hoses on the dipper, I guessed them to supply a thumb. I asked the seller if hydraulics for a thumb, he assured me it did have them. When I was checking it out, no control to retract the thumb. It is only a hammer circuit. Seems there are several ways to provide. Burlington offers several choices, weekend, no prices. I could use an electric hydraulic unit, or divert another function. The last Case I had was equipped with an extra section in the loader valve. It was controlled by a lever beside loader lever. I controlled it reaching past my left side to grab the lever.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-09-04 22:10

    Yikes ! 28 different parts books for 580SN's. Is it possible to change out the hammer section in the control valve to the two way section needed for the thumb ? My gosh the parts book for 580SN machines is a nightmare to navigate. Especially the different backhoe control valves.

  7. #7Willie B2021-09-05 08:15

    Yeah, I'm concerned I've bought a machine too complex to work on. Yesterday I had a light come on, ! I downloaded an operator's manual & read: "It is a fault detected." I'll call the Case dealer Tuesday, but I'm guessing I'm running too slow to keep the emissions system happy. After confirming oil level & pressure, nothing overheating, I did a hot lap 2 miles, the light went out. Operator's manual is so general. It contains mountains of safety precautions generic to all machines & other information relevant to only those with options. No good way to even determine whether an option is present. Ride Control is another question. Other backhoes get a rocking motion at speed after hitting a bit of irregularity in the road. This one starts to rock, then evens out immediately. No reason to think it has Ride Control. It has three settings for forward motion. I'm unclear what that does. Four forward speeds, three reverse, plus whatever this is, & it has a torque converter also.

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-09-05 08:29

    You bought a really nice looking 580sn. It looks like new ! Did it store any codes ? I hope you can find a manual that shows all the different fault codes and what they mean. What tier engine does yours have ?

  9. #9Willie B2021-09-05 11:06

    2014, I presume Tier 4. I have a lot to learn about modern emissions systems. Don't know about accessing codes. PDF operators manual doesn't seem to address much of this stuff. I had a 580K, great machine, I miss it. I'm hoping I don't come to hate this newer model.

  10. #10franklin22021-09-06 10:55

    You are getting into a can of worms that is getting larger and larger. All of the equipment manufacturers are locking out the regular guys and the 3rd party shops on working on their equipment, and the government is in the middle of it all. The heavy trucking industry is feeling it also. The higher profile cases have been between farmers and John Deere, but all of the heavy equipment manufacturers are involved in some way. Farmers have crops to harvest, but can't work on their machines themselves and have to wait days or weeks for a tech to come out with a laptop. There is a movement starting, called "Right to Repair". You can google that and see what's going on. Some people are holding on to their older equipment and trying to keep it running, they can at least work on it themselves.

  11. #11edgephoto2021-09-06 11:41

    Right to Repair laws just mean the manufacturer has to make available diagnostic tools, special tools and repair information at a "reasonable" cost. Many states have passed these laws. You still will have to pay significant money for the tools, equipment and information. It is not free. Reasonable for my company is $4500 for laptop, $1200/yr for subscription to diagnostic software and $1500/yr for subscription to service information. As far as how the stuff works my company covers that in service training. The "how it works" stuff is not in the service information so that is another fee but I am not sure how much. We charge our dealers the same prices. Independent shops will be locked out because to service all makes and models multiply the number of brands times the cost. You still have to turn a profit. Individuals will be locked out due to the cost alone. Yes there are aftermarket and not so legal solutions but they are not 100% as good as the real deal.

  12. #12Willie B2021-09-06 20:16

    Thanks, I kind of knew better. I'll hope my Case dealer I've had very good experience 18 years will keep me functional.