Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thumbs on a Excavator capacity

enjen joe ยท 2014-05-30 07:15

I have to purchase a machine to clean a property with Tires and rims. My question is what size and would a bucket and thumb crush the rim. so I can separate the tire from the steel rims. I'm able to modify is need be. Also what size machine would be needed Thanks Enjen Joes

Replies9
  1. #1CM19952014-05-30 09:21

    Welcome to the forums enjen joe! :drinkup What size tires and rims?

  2. #2mitch5042014-05-30 09:25

    My 215c will crush car rims, but not truck rims.

  3. #3CM19952014-05-30 09:28

    I know my 321 will crush a car rim but don't know if it would crush a 22.5 or 24.5 rim.

  4. #4The Peej2014-05-30 09:42

    If you just want to separate the tire from the rim a small to mid size machine with a blade would do it. Set the rim under the blade and pry the tire off.

  5. #5enjen joe2014-05-30 10:58

    There any thing fro 8" to 22.5 mostly 15/16 truck and car there are some big one but they will have to be cut off. Thanks Enjen joes

  6. #6dixon7002014-05-31 11:59

    A thumb on a backhoe like mine(580sk) wouldn't have enough power to crush a wheel would it? I've thought about building a hydraulic thumb for on mine. Just go with a 330 or larger. I'd love to have an excavator that size.

  7. #7Garrie Denny2014-06-01 03:11

    How many rims&tyres are you talking? 1 thousand ? 10 thousand.?

  8. #8Desertwheeler2014-06-01 04:53

    Shears are great at separating tires and rims. Used to do it all the time with a 345. Buy one with a quick coupler and put a shear where the bucket goes. You can handle them easily and sort as you go too.

  9. #9enjen joe2014-06-02 06:37

    possible 2000 - 10000 They are buried on the land so its hard to tell They have a tire splitter which is a modified wood spliter but is manual and there are not giving me much time for the clean up