Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tie rod end to steering cyl shaf loose on case 580SK backhoe

Ed Zaber · 2023-01-16 22:29

I have play between tie rod end and steering cylinder shaft with weight off front end. Better than an inch on both left and right arms. Is this adjustable and if so what to do?

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042023-01-16 23:32

    Nope, but it's not that hard or expensive to replace the ball joints, or it might just be loose 'til the rest of the machine wears out.

  2. #2Ed Zaber2023-01-17 15:16

    The tie rod ends are not loose, but where the Shaft connects to the cylinder, there is about an inch play laterally, that is the Area would like to know if there is a way to tighten the lateral play. Would like to know before I tear it apart so I can locate parts first if needed.

  3. #3heymccall2023-01-17 16:43

    Like this cylinder?

  4. #4heymccall2023-01-17 16:45

    This?

  5. #5mitch5042023-01-18 00:22

    OK, I was assuming 4wd. If it's 4wd, where the tie rod end attaches to the chrome rod is actually a slightly different type of ball joint than where it attaches to the steering knuckle. If that's where your play is, there's nothing to do but replace the tierod end, but they will run a long time.

  6. #6Ed Zaber2023-01-18 10:25

    Thank your for your reply. I figured it was a different type of ball joint. I will get parts here first before I tear it down. So im not down for backorder or some other issue. Depending on the price, i may see if Hagan has some used ones in good shape.

  7. #7Tinkerer2023-01-18 10:35

    Call Schaefer Enterprises in wolf lake il https://sewlparts.com/

  8. #8HarleyHappy2023-01-18 10:48

    I did the whole front end on Case 580 Se probably didn’t cost 100 bucks.