I have an 03 718 tigercat cutter with 11,000 hours. Engine rebuilt, new injection pump, electric fuel pump, new wiring harnesses. Machine clean and been well cared for but has one off those cranking gliches i cannot narrow down. 95% 0f time it will crank time heater box light goes out, but then we have this other 5% that it will spinover without hitting a lick. You can return later and it fires rightup. I thought it was a checkvalve bad and letting fuel drain back but i have gone to it a week after it wouldnt crank and time it turned over fired off. Does anyone have something for me to try? It is hard to fix something that is not totally broke. No fault codes show up.
Whitemike, I'm a Cummis Dealer and have had numerous similar experiences. The one thing you failed to mention was crankshaft position sensor. I believe these sensors have a mind of their own and sometimes won't read the crankshaft timing gear. Have you tried a new sensor? I believe it's part no. 4921597 (I'm looking at one on my desk). Other mfg's have had this same problem like Ford. It pays to keep one on hand cause sometimes they just quit on you leaving you stranded.