A friend of mine called last Friday {2nd} to have me look this rig over he towed in. C-15 just inframed new head, cylinder kits and so on. From the midwest, owner said it started loosing power and smoking real bad, turned the key off but it kept running gaining rpm. He ran he said about 50' foot away and watched as it came to a stop. Sucked the pan near dry, pumped the CAC with about 4 gallons. Reused the turbo with rebuild. He didn't like my estimate--------35K plus a bunch for core. Also told him I don't do those anymore, wanted nothing to do with that. But this is a prime example of a engine out of control burning it's crankcase oil, not seen very often. Not much of a way to shut it down along side the road-This one needed a two stroke emergency shut down flap.
Two things *might have prevented this. Most likely replacing the turbo. Second, not as likely, but killing it in gear before it got really out of hand.
That's correct Shimmy, I asked why he didn't. {I got scared and didn't think about that}.
Out here positive air shutoff systems are mandatory on diesel engines on most oilfield sites. I kinda like the idea and would probably install them if I owned trucks regardless of it going to the patch or not.
How come you don’t want anything to do with them anymore?
Aren't more and more class 8s fitted w automatics? How ya gonna shut them rascals down? No Jakes anymore only those silly "exhaust brakes"
#1 Getting too old for this game, younger whippy snappers can just get to whippy snapping on things like this. #2 He is a owner operator that's about a saltine cracker from hunger. Broke. #3 I can just see a pissing match with who ever did the work of inframing it. #4 Just don't want to get involved with complete engine work and having to stand behind it when it's operated possibly by someone who is green as grass.
That's a discussion I brought up with a MB/Detroit corp guy, met with a dumb stare.
I guess the correct action is to let it consume itself and salvage the scrap.
Lets say it is a DD-15 that goes haywire, a new 15 on the floor is now $48,000 the DT12 AMT is $20,000. I'm not sure it would shift from N to D at that high rpm, but if it did I would want to do it remotely.
It's not like it's a torqueflite hitting the bleachbox. BWAHAHA
That is figured into the warranty cost across thousands of units and fleets, O/Os are of no concern to them.
I was talking/asking in general. It caused him to pause and think about-probably because no one asked that before.
And even if you used jakes to control it, those shut off automatically 1000 rpm. I guess you could keep controlling it with jakes while someone cut the air. We had a rig that went on it's side some years back. Series 60, it was on cruise as soon as the drives lost traction it went WFO-what saved it was it bent all the valves when those floated.
dropping it in gear at 1000 might not grenade it. The VW ALH engine has a shut off valve, the ASV valve on it. I learned about that one when my wife's car did not start. It gets crudded up with EGR gunk and stuck shut.
Did some checking this morning, the DD12 will not engage when out of idle range. And if it did the shock load would be horrendous, not like a standard clutch you can feather. Note the rpm at start of peak torque for a DD-16. All the could have should have is just that, most people would panic.
Not me, i wouldn't panic, I'd be too busy running away! Faster than a fat kid on his way to an all you can eat buffet
I think that's human nature to panic in the moment, but then retroactively say, "I should have done _______ instead." I've done it. I've also done something right in a panic type moment, but more often the self-preservation impulse occurs prior to a rational thought.
Well the problem is you don't know how long it will hold together. Do everything right and you saved the engine, and the boss does not know much has happened and goes to lunch never the wiser. But pick the wrong time to climb up with the 2x6 for the air intake, and wind up with a rod or pieces of a clutch sticking in your guts. It is a roll of the dice.
100%. I've seen a C15 genset engine with a clean rod slice right through from the liner down to the bottom of the oil pan. No way you're walking away from that unscathed if you were standing near it. I'd take the risk if it were sitting there and I was suspecting it could happen (ie fresh engine rebuild, turbo accessible to put a board over it) but I'm not about to take the time to grab a knife, slit an intake boot and slip a clip board in there while its screaming at north of 3000 RPM.
That engine is nothing but a Bermuda Triangle, the whole thing needs replaced for the simple fact the rotating mass has been stressed. Every part/piece would have to be checked for stress. As far as shutting it down, you ain't going have a block of wood handy so it's throw your coat, shirt, genes, shoes and socks in there and last resort the beacon strip in your shorts will finally kill it. With a big PEW.
“#1 Getting too old for this game, younger whippy snappers can just get to whippy snapping on things like this. #2 He is a owner operator that's about a saltine cracker from hunger. Broke. #3 I can just see a pissing match with who ever did the work of inframing it. #4 Just don't want to get involved with complete engine work and having to stand behind it when it's operated possibly by someone who is green as grass.” Much truth in there. No repair goes sideways faster than truck engine work. Do the best job possible with the stars aligned and still, nobody is happy about it.
Had a silver 92 decide wanted loose long ago Another K100, guy had someone do some hind of head work on it where routinely used Em Shut off to kill it regularly as electrical wouldn’t. Emergency trip but did nothing, sucked blower seals, shoved that one in a higher gear high side and dumped the clutch. It ran backward as drive line would load up and reverse as would head the other way. Finally caught it at stopping point and stomped on clutch load unloaded and exploded a plate but engine died. Guy said he had never seen one do that. That one was toast, entire rig was baling wire and spitball held together. Sold it to local salvage dealer used money to fly home and turned load over to another trucker. Was 1985 IIRC.
Can see that one having to get jerked and at least stripped right back to bare and start the magnaflux treatment. Head will survive, MAYBE, dependent of cam bushing, and gear train have.
Isn't worth the time, the truck is a 99 extended hood Freightliner Classic. Taint worth much, engine is a core.