I would appreciate any info about what is different in running a Tier 4 engine as opposed to older engine with no emission controls. Also, what emission devices are on Tier 4? Thanks again.
cant tell you the difference in running them. i know that kubota and john deere are about to start moving to tier 4 final machines that have a Diesel Particulate Filter & Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) the DEF cleans the filter so you dont have to replace it as often. the kubota dealer told me it would probably raise the price by around 6k, but they are also bumping their horsepower up to 95.
All the DEF systems I've seen so far put the stuff on the outlet side of the DPF. If you can run longer before clean out it is because firing temperatures can be raised way up again. Running the engines will have some type of requirements for regen or burning off the carbon trapped in the filter. Most of the small machines do passive regen so if you run them hard enough it is not a concern. Larger machines may or may not have an active region where you have to stop operation and let the system go through the cycle. I'm interested in other people's experiences as well.
Depends on the horsepower, if you stay below 75hp the specs are more lenient and several manufacturers have engines with no DPF and no SCR, Kubota and JCB for example.
When did tier 4 go into effect? I looked up specs for a Bobcat T770 and it said tier 4. It wouldn't be on a 2013, would it? I was mostly trying to find out what they required other than just fuel and air and compression to run. Trying to do due diligence before laying out many dollars for machine.
Depends on the horsepower, but Tier 4 final came in Jan 1 of 2012 at the latest. Lots of manufacturers using exceptions and credits though, I'm still buying Tier3 for my builds until I can't anymore.
Both the 700 and 800 series just went Tier IV Final. If that 770 has the smaller Doosan 3.4L and a DEF tank full cap on the left side it is a T4 Final machine. The new T4F 700 & 800 series machines also have two fans located on the rear door and a the battery is located in shear resistant bag because of all the extra heat in the engine bay. The T4 Final 600 series have been out for awhile and have a Doosan 2.4L engine.
Thanks, everybody for your help. I'm pretty sure the listing on CG was a scam anyway.
Kenmac, I'm up in Gadsden area. Looking for a machine myself. So far I've looked at a Deere 323e, bobcat t590, t650 ... Really hard to find solid reviews, equally as hard to find a cab, ac/heat, joysticks and seemingly low hours for less than 40k I email the 770 bobcat guy also... He has it listed in Montgomery and annistons CL with a diff picture, make me wonder...
I've written that one off. Seems like there's as much scamming on CG as there is legitimate listings now.