looking for any and all info.pertaining to upgrading older diesels to meet t4 specs. jd-cat- cummins
Why???
It was tried on road trucks here in California and all I heard was horror stories with retrofit diesel filters. I don't know of any that worked right. The owners ended up selling out of them and getting into real T4 equivalent trucks. It is so many years since the T4 switch I would think this market would be drying up anyway but maybe somebody is still doing it.
we`re not dealing with trucks. const equipt
I don't know of any construction equipment that got anything other than a full engine replacement under some program. When they did replace the engine their comment was it burns a lot more fuel than it used to. Bigger radiators, lots more heat rejected. More breakdowns of course and harder to work on. Same general idea, might have worked as a stopgap 10 years ago but nowadays it does not seem like it would be economical. I am not aware of any equipment operating nowadays with any retrofit engines or treatment systems and only a few trucks that are slated to get retired ASAP.
I was involved in quoting an engine swap to a T4 engine. It is cost prohibitive...
There was , in the beginning, a company making exhaust after treatment systems as a retrofit for on/off highway. It was stand alone. Had its own little computer and fuel pump. We had a customer who was toying with the idea. At the time a certain percentage of your equipment had to be emissions compliant to be on a tax funded jobsite. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the vendor's name.
BV is correct, When we were doing outside work a customer had Cummins retro fit two ISX engines to meet California emissions, both ended up a can of worms. The cost was out of site and both rigs after about a year the systems were removed.
Cummins seemed the biggest in the retrofit game, they had at least one company under their wing. I believe the come-backs were out of this world and quickly bankrupted the filter vendor(s). I believe the trouble was that the engine injection systems had to be upgraded to a whole other level of cleanliness over even the original generation of HPCR injectors. In order to make the soot load something manageable. A lot of engines right up to the 2008 cutoff smoked a fair bit even though they met emissions targets for when they were built. You can't just put a filter onto a smoking engine and expect it to survive. It can't deal with that much soot. Plus the T4 engines have entirely different management routines to make the exhaust stream into something both thermally and chemically that keeps the filter burning most of the time. I remember when retrofits came out, thinking they could never work, and I think history has borne that out.
Totally correct BV, most of those engine components were not compatible with T4 emission components. Will not, can not work.
petepilot, you may have some luck searching for VDECS which is CARB's way of saying add on exhaust kits. They give a listing of "approved" installers. Of course they don't update the list or reprint it to keep current. The way I read the rules, there are 3 different groups based on total hp of your fleet. Based on that hp # for your whole fleet, determines how much % of your fleet needs to be compliant, the smaller the company, the longer to be compliant. https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/ordie...7.1364623228.1596227314-1554144467.1596227314
https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/diesel/verdev/vdb/vdb.php
I think before you spend too much time checking regs and installers, check the price.
that was my first thought. we may have to lease some stuff
DOC system built in canada.basicly an add on muffler type filter .supposed to work as a reducer .anyone heard of them?
I think you would want to add up how much equipment you need to take into the job, see what HP category you as a company are in. Then see what you have to get up to as a percentage of your fleet. Lease what is cheapest to get up to that number, and bring in your own stuff that is specialized or more expensive/ harder to lease. Will the add on kits get you up to tier 4 final levels?
If its mobile equipment I think your best bet is to sell what needs replaced and buy (or lease) what you need. The older equipment is worth good value to other contractors that don't have to hassle with emissions. Some even consider it worth more as a pre-emissions machine as uptime seems to be better. I doubt if you would ever be able to get any money spent on an upgrade out of the machine on resale, and thats even if it works properly.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...le-wildfire-california-officials-say-n1235711 Oh the irony...... Diesel engine malfunction - spewing from exhaust- starts wildfires.
I came across a series of roadside fires late one night last year. Called it in and heard over the scanner one of the responding fire engines passed a car shooting catalytic converter material out in the dark going the other way. But with 2 vehicles going opposite directions on a 50 mph road it was too hard to turn around and track him down so I don't believe he may have ever even known unless he bothered to look in his mirror.
Diesel engine malfunction in a car? I don't recall how long ago it was that they put diesels in cars. How many years ago was it that VW got caught cheating on their cars?
Their expert said diesel soot was red hot and the size of marbles. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-j-Anva-XlpxWGclwkuligZzCrLGjV3AkSNbhz8sppG8M
Particles the size of marbles. I say it's a high performance turbo muffler.
Watched a NEW school bus here as was hauling with the Pete, was fine for a short while then the exhaust just became a smoke monster, stopped shortly there after where I began noticing more of these occurring, do the T4 systems go into Regen on the road or do you have to pull off? Bus controller here at our HS stated that these systems do some kind of a regen while driving, and can throw burning crap out the pipe.
They do passive regeneration all day long. If the temp is high enough, the DOC does its thing. It requires less dosing than parked regeneration. It is post injection (after combustion) to support high EGTs. That's T4final, interim was its own red-headed step child. I dont believe any allowed any combustible material past the DPF unless it was cracked or hollowed out.
Smoked like the bus and other equipment I saw as if a Forest Fire.
I'd say that there is too little information so far. The description comes from a witness that likely is describing what they saw to a reporter or police officer and who then embellished the interview to stand out better in the broadcasts. Wait a couple of more days for the story to turn around into something entirely different, or just disappears.
Most of the newer systems can't complete a re-gen if the DPF is cracked, I know on the Detroit systems the nox sensor will throw a code. And if the system keeps trying to regen and can't complete the DPF is usually plugged solid. which is remove to clean or replace.
Corn Queen cabs Thomas built buses, also saw a Volvo Road Tractor and a couple others do similar, just cruising along then the smoke rolled, lasted a few minutes then over, never lost speed or seemed to bother operations. Seemed the drivers of these machines seen were oblivious or knew it was normal. All were near to new if not being delivered(Bus).
"Hydrocarbon slip" is what they call that, the dosing system is attempting to deliver fuel to be burned in the DOC and heat up the DPF to clean it out but for some reason it is not being combusted in the aftertreatment system and instead spewing out the tailpipe all over the road. I had to follow a semi over the Altamont pass in bumper to bumper traffic one morning choking on that stuff, it was horrible.
brought to you by CARB
Wonder if is more prevalent to certain makes or engines