For people who are familiar with the T3 Commer engine which is a 2 smoker Just add a Jake Brake and
Yeah, now I got to go buy me a Dodge pickup so I can put one of those in it.
Maybe easy enough to fit too and the best part is NO COMMON RAIL, COMPUTER BS . Something else I learned from this video. The 903 , thought Cummins had stopped manufacturing it years ago
Maybe I missed it but does this engine have two crankshafts that are gear together for one output shaft?
That's way it works, two pistons per cylinder which come together and fire, no valves just ports. Makes it a very simple engine On FB Stav-Tech has a vid with the info of the workings.
That's a nice engine but it's a spin off of the Napier Deltic below and it's been around awhile.
A good video of a Deltic.
That is totally crazy. Makes the Echo chain saw opposed piston engine childs play. EPA approved no doubt! Thanks for sharing.
When I hear opposed piston I think Fairbanks-Morse. I, too, thought the V903 was long dead and gone.
If they are direct marketing to the military, EPA and emissions mean nothing. All the military trucks are not epa regulated. The EPA actually sued the DOD over them selling the military surplus trucks here in the US, to civilians, and had sales shut down for a little while. I don't know what they came to for a agreement, but they started selling them again. Its always a win for the taxpayers when one arm of the gov't is suing a different arm of the gov't in the gov't courts. Looks like quite a engine, big 4 cylinder- turning out 1,000 hp at 14 liters. The cummins 903 that they pictured is used in the Bradley fighting vehicle, they also still use some DD 8v92's two stroke in the big tank haulers. The old M113 personnel carriers use a 6v53 that they still make new engines for them. I think the airborne still uses the m113 because they are so light- easier to fly in. Sounds like this is a new engine design for the new personnel carrier they want to build. They typically wont fix anything engine related if its complicated in the machine, they want it as a "package", unbolt one engine, throw it out and slap the new one in. The repair facility back in the states can fix whatever is wrong. It sure wouldn't be a good design to try to do a inframe on with it in the truck.
Technically an 8.
This shows the inside of the engine a little. 8 pistons, 4 cylinders, 2 crankshafts.
Still technically a 8 cylinder because it uses two pistons just sharing a common cylinder. The Napier Deltic 6x8 48 cylinder, and built in various cylinder denominations. The one above is a 36 I believe. Nige can expound on this subject if he passes by.
Have to wonder if any of the Cummins engineers say this engine when they were working on theirs: This one had a single crank and rockers to work the pistons! And note that it is call a "High Speed Diesel" running at an believable screaming 1,200 rpm! This picture is out of an Audel's book first published in 1936.
That's the way the T3 Commer truck engine work IIRC. They reved to about 2000rpm. Nige would be the goto man. I've never seen one apart. Looking at that photo you would think steam engine enthusiasts designed it.
Did someone mention Deltic..? The most common model was classed as an 18-cylinder. 3 banks of cylinders in a triangle formation, 3 cranks, 6 cylinders in each bank, each with two opposed pistons. They make a nice noise too. Skip to 2:55 for the really tasty part......
Is that for the steam nuts here
Wow, impressive! How many rpm’s did that locomotive wind up to? I think I’ve heard airplanes running up for takeoff That sounded the same
It looks like a pain in the ass to work on.
It might be a pain in the ass to work on but no valve train parts to wear out and no adjustments. Fire it up and go.
Those look really impressive. One of my grandfathers worked for Illinois Central Gulf. If I recall correctly he said 1 good steam locomotive would pull 100 cars over Mt Vernon hill. When the diesels came out They had to put in a side track miles away. Hook up three more engines to make the pull. Then unhook, go back and wait for the next train.
Not enough threaded bits for you nut stranglers
What, not enough threaded bits for you nut stranglers
AFAIK, military stuff is not normally repaired in the field but swapped by a parts changer and sent back to a depot for major work.
strangled nuts, sounds like a personal problem. no strangled nuts but at 107* here you can work up a full head of crack steam.
I've worked on Fairbanks engines in my earlier years and there are still plenty of nuts and bolts and a whole lot more o rings and seals you have to worry about. The cranks also have to be timed and the gear trains are a pain to set up. They don't mention the fuel system in that square box either. Like most military crap, they will be doing years of bug chasing to get all the engineering to work good enough to make a half way reliable vehicle. Then the eco idiots will come along and want the furnace and the cow **** put on.