Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tigercat 822C

CDNDIESELMONKEY ยท 2014-08-21 20:59

Are there any tigercat guys (or gals) out there??? :cool2 I have to go replace a cylinder on a 822c and there will be no operator around. Are the joystick controls for boom and stick the same as an excavator? How do I turn the blade on? I don't accidentally want to turn it on and chop off my legs! No operator manual in the unit. Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1Belooky2014-08-21 22:57

    Haven't been in an 822c. I've got an old straight 822 that the boys on my thinning crew run. On mine the saw head has a big button on the right console to turn it on. Everything in the machines are labeled very clearly. You'd have to purposely press the button to turn the disk on. No worries there. I think the C model has the ER boom system on it. So I'm not 100% sure on the joystick set up. But yet its close enough to a track hoe you can figure it out in a few moments

  2. #2CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-22 18:19

    yes it was labelled very well! I always creates a bit of anxiety working on stuff your not familiar with!

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-08-23 01:11

    It seems stupid to me but a mechanic will try to figure out what every button does and what every light means before running an unfamiliar piece of equipment. Most operators I've noticed will jump in, crank the throttle wide open and start dicking with knobs & levers until something happens. It's very frustrating! I have to go out all the time and read the operators manual so I can explain to the "operator" how to "operate" the machine. I got a call from the Volvo dealer asking if there was an issue with our new G series haul trucks because the machine reported to them that the E-stop had been hit 8 times in 1 day. Turns out the turbo timer was on so the machine will idle for 5min after the key is off. They couldn't figure out how to shut it off so they kept hitting the e-stop knob, even though it clearly counts down on the display time until engine stop. I asked if they bothered to look at the Op manual and all I got was blank stares. SMH

  4. #4CDNDIESELMONKEY2014-08-23 07:17

    I'm the same way. I want to know what every button and icon on the dash does before I start working on it. To me it seems essential to understand how the machine should properly work before you start getting your wrenches out.

  5. #5fsmech2014-08-23 22:53

    Well said deeretracks, it's amazing how many urgent breakdowns we are called to when the 'fault' is clearly explained in the ops manual or decals fitted to the machine. Most common I get is the emergency steering pretest on cat loaders!