I'm new to the site, thanks for allowing me to post. I have a 1967 ? Galion t500 with a cummins engine. I was wondering about the fan belt adjustment. Do i have to loosen anything to adjust the long bolt that goes up and down? I am a rookie but am learning quickly. Thank you
If you know the engine model that might help somebody else say for sure. GENERALLY, yes, you have to loosen whatever is pivoting to tighten the belt before you tighten the bolt that adjusts the belt tightness. Otherwise, the bolt would wear away in relatively short order from the constant movement.
If it's the old Cummins slider setup, you should see something like four bolts in slots directly behind the fan hub, loosen all the bolts you see in the slots, tension belt, tighten bolts.
Either that or some we had used a large hex nut behind the slot, I had to make a large offset open end wrench to get access to it easy. I could post a picture if that would help. Without going out to tool box think it is around 2 1/4 hex. Now if it was the water pump belt that needed tightening on the older NH/NT engines you had to slightly loosen six 3/8 bolts and turn the water pump as the pulley shaft was mounted off-center in the mount.
There you go! usually it's easy enough to figure out. I would have been scratching my head for a while if I ran into one of those water pumps though.
Yeah, I had forgotten about both of those!
That one would be the type with a concentric water pump. Should be a 250 Cummins Truck Shop
I am quite certain that I have the one with the 2 1/4 " nut that you speak of. I will have to build me a wrench and get it taken care of, no problem. Thanks for the help and thanks to you other fellas as well.
One other thing while I have you guys helping, I am working on fixing several leaks in the hyd system. The lid inside the cab where you fill with fluid says "type a transmission fluid only" I have been using only what it says to use. My dumb question is can i use hydraulic fluid instead? I was just wondering if the fluid is good enough since technology in fluids have come a long ways. Its obviously much cheaper. lol Thank you