Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tilting Excavator

01440X ยท 2013-01-19 12:29
Replies12
  1. #1Oxbow2013-01-19 12:33

    Case used to make an excavator that would tilt from side to side, but this looks like it is broken to me.

  2. #2mitch5042013-01-19 13:03

    Yeah, that couldn't swing, the counterweight is on the tracks.

  3. #3bigshow2013-01-19 13:05

    The old Drotts had a tilting turntable.

  4. #4Trashman2013-01-19 15:29

    Ouch!

  5. #5excavator2013-01-19 16:32

    I did a repair on a MDI/Yutani that looked something like this, except it wasn't next to the road and the house was turned enough that the left corner fell between the tracks. And it was a 400 size machine. They said that when the bolts broke it sounded like a short machine gun burst. Fun job though and wished I could have more jobs like it. With two of us working on it we finished it in about 20 hours.

  6. #6Oxbow2013-01-19 19:06

    I have never seen one of these break before, is it typically just the bolts that break? Maybe they get a bit of play and then the swinging action keeps working the bolts until they break, but I would think that you could feel it every time you changed swing direction.

  7. #7stock2013-01-19 19:21

    Didn't Komatsu do a recall on the 600 excavators due to slew gear bolts breaking...............

  8. #8excavator2013-01-19 19:29

    What happened with the one I worked on was it spent most of it's life at a logging company build roads. Lots of hard use plus lots of breaker time. Then they tried splitting a large cedar stump by slamming the bucket into it. Instead of the stump breaking the machine broke. I'm thinking there were likely a couple bolts broken already and the shock caused the rest to let go.

  9. #9BigBird2013-01-19 20:09

    There's a pipeline contractor in NW Colorado that put a custom made "wedge" in between the house and the carriage. The house is on there at about a 40 degree angle to the tracks. They built them for digging ditch on those steep CO mountains. I've worked for them before but they never needed em on those jobs. I don't have any pics but I have a buddy that lives up there, maybe I could get him to send me a pic.

  10. #10Hendrik2013-01-20 05:09

    Ohh deere, that's hard ground.

  11. #11stock2013-01-20 06:32

    I have some photographs of the bolt replacement on a 600 Komatsu but for some reason the site won't accept the link from photobucket............sorry. and I'm well used to posting pictures on the net but here on the HEF Iusually give up after an hour of trying....... http://s760.photobucket.com/albums/xx247/stock--/Kommie600house/

  12. #12Oxbow2013-01-20 09:38

    Cool picks Stock.