Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TimbCo man hours on motor swap

RJM74 · 2023-04-16 16:05

Hello. In the process of swapping an 8.3 motor in a 425 TimbCo, on site on top of a mountain. Can anybody put me in the ballpark of how many man hours this should take? Thank you much.

Replies8
  1. #1Plebeian2023-04-17 08:21

    On top of a mountain - is that in cutover away from the road or a yarder etc landing that a service truck can access? In a workshop in town, engine swaps can take a day and then some if something is missing or incorrect etc, doing additional upgrades, fixes before a startup, depends on mechanics, equipment too.

  2. #2RJM742023-04-17 08:58

    Yeah. The motor is out, but it took 2 days with all the pissing around getting their service truck unstuck AND the fact it's the first one I've ever done. I was just curious as to the average time as it seems as though it took too long.

  3. #3Junkyard2023-04-17 13:51

    In conditions like that I’d say you did pretty good. If it’s a machine I’m familiar with I can do it within a day, assuming it’s not tier 4 final with all the extra garbage.

  4. #4RJM742023-04-17 17:11

    Great! Thank you. I'm not sure what tier 4 means, but it has the tri pump and double ended input shaft at flex plate. Thank you both much.

  5. #5Tones2023-04-17 18:11

    Their 4 is the newest Dan fanged electronic fuel injection system. You are one lucky fella in not knowing what that crap is.

  6. #6Junkyard2023-04-17 18:25

    It’s DPF, DEF and all kinds of extra emissions BS you gotta remove

  7. #792U 34062023-04-17 20:57

    Takes what it takes. If nobody's whining then you did fine.

  8. #8Hallback2023-05-05 20:37

    Takes a lot less time than it does to buy a new machine and get it up there and get it running