Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Timber Availablity

Autocar ยท 2010-06-13 17:35

Anyone having problems getting timber bought right now ? It seems to be tuff to get any jobs from foresters or talking with private landowners.

Replies8
  1. #1mitch5042010-06-13 23:05

    The timber buyers I work for have a lot bought up and are having problems getting it cut. About every other week one will offer to finance me if I'll set up a logging side to go with the construction.

  2. #2Autocar2010-06-14 10:13

    Are biggest problem up in my area is it.s farm country , just small woodlots and most of them look like a bomb went off in it. Not sure what the future will hold if your not willing to go further from home to get work.

  3. #3stumpjumper832010-06-14 21:18

    what for logs do you need? hardwood, softwood...

  4. #4Autocar2010-06-15 14:46

    Hardwood, white/swamp/bur oak small end no less then 16 inch. The mills I deal with have put diamater limts on logs sence the ecomomy went south. Red oak has come back a little but nothing like it use to be. We just got spoiled when the prices were high and now it is back to the old days.

  5. #5stumpjumper832010-06-15 19:12

    I can find alot of red oak, hard and soft maple, black cherry, and ash in that category up here in north central pa. How much would you like?

  6. #6Autocar2010-06-15 20:16

    I can sell red oak butts to the mills I sell to but only the butt log. You can hardly give away ash with the emarld ash borer in this area. Ash will be just like the dutch elm disease it's going to kill them all. It has been traveling about five miles south every year coming from Michigan. Soft maple for me is impossible to get rid of and cherry was a pretty good price but it also has bottomed out. We don't grow very good cherry nothing like your cherry ,ours has alot of bird peck. It's to bad trucking cost so much but by the time we trucked your logs over here I would probably owe the mill I do all my own trucking but on haul into Kentucky I pay $771.00 for a truck load 4000 feet. If it keeps raining like it has we will trade our skidder in for a boat. Good luck and I hope you can make a few bucks

  7. #7ez12010-06-17 00:29

    If ya dont mind me asking.... what part of ohio are you from ?

  8. #8Autocar2010-06-17 18:22

    I am twenty five miles southwest of Lima, just a one man operation