We currently us an app based time card, Clock shark. Which the guys are familiar with and use on a daily basis. However this is a simple program and still leaves me transcribing time cards manually to make an invoice in Quick books. Looking to have a program that also keeps track of machine hours for maintenance. We have 10 pieces of yellow iron and 5 commercial trucks, I am falling behind on maintenance as it is too many to keep up with. Looked at Busy Busy, seems to have some features I am looking for, it collects machine hours but has no hour warning for machine service interval.
I have no suggestions but look forward to replies about Quickbooks options myself. We manually enter everything for machine maintenance in a spreadsheet so we are making double entries which is time consuming. We tried the online version of QB for a bit, but could not format invoices and reports to our needs, so we went back to desktop. We lost data both directions of transfer from online to desktop and back. Never again! Re-reconciling everything for the year sucked. Fortunately, most of our yellow iron lets us know what is upcoming within 50 hours, so as long as we remember to reset the maintenance clock we are good. As for the trucks, we kind of rely on the hours written on the oil filter from the previous service. Not the best system.
As I understand it moving forward quickbooks will only be online, desk top versions are going for big money right now, and will no longer be supported.
I think that will be a good thing. We do our own payroll and utilize payroll updates for changes in witholding tax, but that's the only thing that we will lose. Maybe our accountant can supply us with needed changes. We manually enter changes for workers comp and unemployment anyway when the state sends a notification.
Forgot to mention - we still use paper time cards.
we are using Koble Systems It does have timecard and payroll, including tasks and job tracking apps. Does do machine serial numbrr and history, but nothing maintenance schedule wise. Good software is invaluable, I'm actually looking at moving to a dealership management software. . . If anybody has a pros or cons im all ears.
Thats so they can hold your books hostage for whatever they feel like charging for updates. I'm looking at going back to old school paper and filing cabinet.
We use BusyBusy - dumb name but it's a great app. Found it at last Conexpo and have used it since. Daily reports, safety meetings, job site photos, payroll tracking with geofencing, equipment, etc. Highly recommend as it's very user friendly for the guys in the field.
I've always had problems with QB, as I supported several small businesses who used it. The IT support guy problems were all to common. It was a thorn in my side. I suggest looking at open source software. I did a shallow dive on it just now, there appears to be a few choices.
As far as payroll goes our accountant does that for us and direct deposits the guys money as well as withholding taxes. We log into their program and enter the hours from BusyBusy. Still an additional step but works well. Use QB for the company books and it's ok.
Does anyone use Quickbooks time tracking app?
I'm working on a downtime calculator app, but maybe this is a better use to hone my skills. If you let me know all the features your looking for/to do I can build a clickable protype for you in a week or so to play with. Sounds like you want a fleet ERP, guys can sign in for the day, log on/off to equipment in your fleet, request a service (that generates a wo)tech completes wo and you wanna invoice hrs people are signed onto equipment? You also want all signed on hours (for the day and equip) to be logged for payroll? Did I summerize that properly?
How about an app that keeps track of hours and service history on a machine, and can notify the owner when they reach a certain threshold, like 10-20 hours until service is required?
Ill need to develop a app for the employees. Ill call it Pencil whipp. Need them hours!
Sure. Create a machine, set the time between services in hours or distance. Log on/off machine and then alert at a threshold you decide via email? I'll share screenshots Friday on this thread for your guys' feedback, make sure I'm designing how you want! and try and push it to publish in a week or two after that for you guys to use! Appreciate the insight. Let me know if I'm wrong on what you're looking for! This'll be great practice
I think it would be desirable to be able to record hour meter readings? And now you just gave me another idea when you said distance. If you could add odometer readings, it could be used for trucks. I suppose if it had enough digits, it really wouldn't matter if you were recording hours or miles.
I will make sure you can distinguish hrs/miles/kms whatever For service history, will a service last complete on/at/by or checklist suffice? or do you want repair history as well? Want any ways to add filter info etc on there? I'll create it so you can call gear whatever you want add this stuff in Create a rig would be: shimmys rig a Oil xxxx, air xxxx, fuel xxxx, water filter xxxx Service interval (decide hrs, distance (kms/miles whatever)) Last service hrs/miles Next service hours/miles Last serviced by Sign on section 1. Pick the gear 2. Type current hours/odo 3. Sign off when shut down Service section Click service complete and hours/odo at time of service add a note maybe service clock resets
I think filter info and fluid type/weight would be good. It would appear that I'm attempting to interject a service record system into your time card system. If that's ok, and they can coexist, carry on.
Ok I'll give it my all. Expect some screenshots (maybe a clickable protype) here by friday!
Progress so far. I added invoices/quotes and receipts in case folks wanna create an invoice (will not Handel payment and that jazz). Let me hear what I'm doing wrong! Also will have it be desktop and mobile. Super simple but hopefully will do the job
We have used Busy Busy for years now. Pretty dang good app.
Really change our in the field paperwork - field reports, time keeping and safety documentation.
Sorry guys I'm actively working on this just trying to get my passion project over the finish line! Would love some feedback on that one too. Images attached essentially a place i can post machine art/repairs/tools and swipe till your hearts content. I love looking at that stuff and could all day long.
Ok finished that one and back on the service reminder app/desktop thingy. Would love your feedback I made alot of changes, I attached images of the mobile version and there's missing stuff yet so I hope I can explain it well enough. I still need a week or two to finish and make it live. Essentially I'm making it so you create equipment/set your service interval and define the notification window (haven't added the notification field yet) if it reaches/under notification window you get an email. The page with equipment list has login, service,new buttons. There will be a list in between that populates once you create equipment with name/hours/next service so you can see where you're at. (Attachment 1) The service page you guys can quickly pick the gear, service type (repair/service) and add your parts. If it's a service you can reset the minder (attachment 2) The view equipment page is just info. I'm missing alot of fields such as oil/fluid type and filters. You'll be able to choose system type in a dropdown, select its oil/filter and secondary filter (soon coolant, hydraulic, engine, trans, fuel) still very much a wip but attachment 3 Parts just like equipment page as you add parts you'll be able to see a compounding list of pns, location and qtys on hand. If you use a part during a service it'll deduct from the qoh, I attached the main parts page and creating a part. Attachment 4/5 Lastly login but who cares about that (Attachment 6) Is this what yall want? I'm not intending to charge anybody free to test use for life for anyone here interested. Eventually if it's good I'll charge others ha. If this is at all in the ballpark please provide feedback been alot of work. If it's garbage then I'll save my time and scrap it. If there's anything else I need to add let your voice be heard!
Checkout RapidWorks . Haven’t dug enough into what exactly you asked but I saw time cards ERP and quickbooks.
This looks interesting to me. But I'm just a one man show with few pieces of equipment, so I don't think I have anything useful to add.
We use busbusy and while not perfect, it works well. It can track machine hours if you make the employees enter hours at the end of the shift, but no service reminder/log. I have told them I think they are missing out, as it would be pretty easy for them to add that feature, it would be awesome to have that rolled into one app
Ok gang took me forever and a day to do, but im starting simple with machine buddy, i built it so you can create your fleet via ai (or manually if you want) set your service intervals current hours on equipment etc (so commands like create a unit its # is 530 its a Komatsu dozer current hours x next service x and we service it x hours, it will create it, and you can if your an operate just chat unit 530 is down hydraulic leak or something and it will down the unit, technician can come and write his repair story saying repair 530 took x hours replaced x parts etc, if your 50 hours from service it will tag service due soon, if overdue it will tag service overdue. technicians can type service unit x at hours x and it will restart the clock. operators just have to type in unit x hours x every day and it will update easily. Im looking for folks who are interested in beta-ing for free obviously, like 3 people. send me an email [email protected] or message, ill send you the site link and create a username (let me know what username you want to use don't need your email) and ill create a basic password for you to change! anything else anybody wants to see (features) let me know
Looks interesting. Is there a way to log basic maintenance also? Such as greasing. My situation is different than a normal fleet because I'm the business owner, operator and mechanic. And some equipment doesn't get used very often, but still needs regular maintenance more often than say 250 hour service. But when it only gets used for a few hours here or there it's hard to remember when it was last greased.
Speaking of time cards and pay stubs, what do you guys think? Should I drop the vision plan?
Have worked with a few guys over the years that had pay stubs similar to that, county gets more money than them for child support, alimony etc. One that comes to mind cat grossed $1700 and took home $1.68. Reason he even showed us was him having to show check stub for check pool which he won about $200, he could eat that week. Poor Ba$tard......
A good way to track that really basic stuff is just use a dry erase marker, mark the date and hours of last greasing. They make little retractable lanyards you can mount the marker to machine, and if it doesn't have glass just pick a spot or throw a little white vinyl sticker somewhere.
Hey Tyler! It's been a minute - glad to see you back.
Places I've worked just put a label on the dash or windshield for next service due and we'd just let the mechanic know or write it up if he wasn't around (i usually worked nights)
$250 fed tax on $2500 would be nice. More like $600ish.
I would totally cancel the vision, with out it, eventually you won't be able to read all those other deductions