The company I work for has been in business since 1945. I have been with them since 1998. It is run by 2 brothers, and now one brother's 2 sons are involved. The brother with no sons is the brains of the company. He brought the business back from near ruin when he first took over from his dad in the 80s. He is a fair, lets not get excited kind of guy. He is also a this is what I want, this is what I would do, but you're the operator, just get it done however guy. He spends 7 days a week in the office. He is on the go at 4 in the morning, and a lot of times he is still in the office at midnight. During slow times, he will take on break even jobs just to keep us working, when his nephews figure if there is nothing to do, send us home. At the height of the season, there are about 90 employees here. It's seasonal work, running from the middle of May, until the middle of December. Besides plowing snow, and hauling snow, there might be the odd job, but nothing to keep everyone working. Minimum wage here is a little over 10 bucks an hour, and I get 20, with time and a half after 50 hours. We get paid for holidays, and double time if we have to work them. The biggest perk of the job, is that I get to sleep in my bed every night, as they never work more than an hour or so away from home. The big guy is 60, and a diabetic. He has already had a few stays in the hospital from working so hard. I worry about what will happen if he gets sick and has to retire. I have a chance to go to work on a large union job. 20 days on and 10 days off. Direct flight right to the local airport. According to the collective agreement, by the time the project ends, I should be making a little over 50 an hour. Should I stick with what I have, and take the chance that by the time the big guy gives it up, that the nephews might be up to the challenge, or jump to a 4, or maybe 5 year project, and hope something else comes up when it is finished. What do you guys think. If I was single, I would have went to the oil patch years ago, but I do have a 4 year old daughter.
Here's my 2 cents. My dad took down bridges for a living. Always gone during the week, got home late Friday night and was gone by noon on Sunday. I understand he was doing his best to support his family but we never saw him. Ultimately it ended causing him a marriage and he never had much of a relationship with me and my sister until we became adults and he retired. The money you got offered sounds great but I bet your 4 year old daughter and wife would rather have you home at night. Fwiw.
Do you think the economy in NB will pick up over the next year or two? I'm told that with the cost of fuel and the exchange rate being down, that Ontario and BC are starting to do pretty good. Maybe something close will pop up if you don't feel good about your present situation. Here in AB, I know lots of families where dad's are away in camps, up at Fort Mac, and so on. Gone 3 weeks, back a few days and then off again. Some work out, some don't. I'm not sure that "BIG MONEY" get's put away for important things anyways.
You will find that you will spend what you make. If you have skills and I'm willing to bet that you do. You will have no trouble finding a job if the company goes belly up. Family is far more important than a big pay check. Good luck with what ever decision you make!
The trouble with NB is that there are so many people against change. I know that fracking and shale gas is only a short term boom, but the money that it could generate for the province could create work through road building, water and sewer jobs, and bring a lot of guys home. The Liberals have put it on hold for more study. The job I am looking at is in Labrador, and it would only be a short hop. The only reason the money is big, is because it is under the IBEW. I really would hate to leave home, but it could really help with the bills. A few of the guys here go with Northern for the winter, and come back here for the summer.
Your family is the only one watching your back, watch theirs. Those big jobs with promise of big money bring big bills and problems to family. Most places with those piplines and gas wells jack up the cost of goods and housing that it takes all the big money from you to keep working them, then when its over your back in broke town with same or more bills. Good luck.
If you have your heart set on it then do it. Growing up my dad worked sunday-friday so we only got to really see him on saturday, and it was OK but it has shaped me into the man I am today. If you are home on weekends and the money is that much better, and more importantly your family is OK then do it. But if your family is against it then don't. No a ount of money is worth losing a family.
Family is number one. A collective bargaining agreement so equal pay for equal work, a pension play to give you freedom and take care of you when you retire, freedom from worrying that when work is slow, one of the other guys will offer to do the job for less leaving you **** out of luck is all important to. Only you can speculate what the company future will be and only you can make that decision. Just by thinking about it shows you got a head on your shoulders. I guess I never realized that Canada's work rules allow 50 hrs a week without overtime pay. glad we don't have that here.
I work in the mining sector and do a 2 week in 2 week out job. I actually get a significant amount more of quality family time per month then my 8-5 counterparts who only see the kids (awake) on weekends. That being said either you and your family can or can't handle this schedule, there is no middle ground. My family can but I have seen lots of folks try it and go back to the Mon-Fri because it was too tough on them.
Someone actually suggested a job in the mining industry to me because of the 2 week on and the 2 week off. He is in the Yukon as a heavy equipment mechanic George Baisley. I looked hard at the open pit on Baffin Island. I know you really don't get 2 weeks home, but you are only gone for 2 instead of 3. I am actually enjoying a little break between snowstorms, and my little girl is waiting for me to go outside and play. It's a lot to think about for sure, and I really appreciate the input. I did work away when I first got into the business, I worked for ** Essons, and we left early Monday morning, and got home Friday night. I often thought about some of the older guys that had been kissing their wife good bye for the week most of their lives.
I think the 50 hours has something to do with being seasonal. One of the guys looked into it before. The full time guys in the shop get it after 40. I had always been led to believe that we had a better deal on this side of the border. My sister works for Dupont Canada. When the American parent company to control, she and the other staff were told not to discuss wages, holidays, or packages with their US counter parts. One point of contention was that she had worked up to 5 weeks paid holidays.
Might be different province to province, but I think it's 48 or 50 seasonal, 44 construction, and all others are 40. Tough to compare on each side of the border. South of the border, medical insurance is covered by a lot of companies. I guess a business has to consider that a business cost.