Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Time for a new CTL- Takeuchi, Cat or something else?

giannid · 2020-06-26 06:40

I have an aging Takeuchi CTL 130 and it's time for a new machine. I've been running the Takeuchi's CTL's for almost 20 years. I had a CTL machine before they were considered cool, LOL. Anyways, it's time for a new one and I'm going to be ready to purchase a new one in a month or so. Many things have changed with heavy equipment later and this will be my first machine with the new emissions system. The Takeuchi's have been great machines for me and I've owned 3 of them over the years. I just want to take a look and see what's the best machine out there and not just stick with one brand because that's all I've owned. Machine's I'm looking at so far is the Takeuchi TL6, Cat 239 and 249d3's. These are the comparable machines to my tl130. So far they are priced very similar from the dealers I've talked to. I was told to stay away from the Kubota's because of some drive issues. Anything else I should be looking at? We have a local bobcat dealer and was probably going to call them also. Looking for the most robust and reliable machine. I tend to keep my machines for 10 plus years. Thoughts?

Replies7
  1. #1OTG AuGres2020-06-26 08:11

    No first hand experience with the others, but I’m very pleased with my Bobcat T595. I’m just shy of 300 trouble free hours. With 74 hp and hiflo, it’s got tons of power. My only real complaint is that it’s a fuel guzzler, but again, I don’t have anything to compare it to. I’ve got great dealer support, especially from my sales rep, that is a positive.

  2. #2Mark132020-06-26 13:35

    If you've had good luck with your past Tak machines and have good luck with the dealer in your area, I think I'd have a real hard time buying anything else. I likely would go to a TL8 over a 6 as the TL130/230/8 are closer together then the TL130/TL6. I believe on the TL6 you give up the over head door and get a conventional swing out door so they could keep the cab height lower.

  3. #3heymccall2020-06-26 15:51

    Except for the sucky (literally) hvac, my Kubota SVL75 and SVL75-2 have exceeded my expectations. The Takeuchis I have are older TL150 machines, and, they've certainly had some weird and frustrating issues, but, they've served us well. For us, I'd never get a CTL without a self storing windshield, which leaves Takeuchi and Kubota. Tech support on Takeuchi has been good, but, I've never really had to utilize tech support, or the dealer, for my Kubotas.

  4. #4giannid2020-06-26 21:32

    To me, the specs line up the closest on the tl6 to the tl130. Looks like the lift capacity and horsepower is the same. I need to make sure I don't loose any reach or dumping height. I don't want a cab machine so window option doesn't matter to me. Got a quote from Bobcat and it's the most expensive out of the bunch.

  5. #5heymccall2020-06-26 21:39

    Lose any reach? Look at vertical lift vs radial.

  6. #6skata2020-06-27 00:26

    If you're used to the hydraulic over hydraulic controls on the Takeuchi, you may not like the electric controls on most other brands.

  7. #7KSSS2020-06-27 00:41

    I would demo the CASE 310B radial lift or 370B vertical. These are 75 hp machines with no SCR and no DPF, just DOC, which is basically maintenance free. The upgrades made to the B machines are really nice. Certainly worth a look.