Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Timing a Deere 4045T engine

mattyt1984 ยท 2014-11-24 16:47

Does anyone have a diagram for timing a deere 4045T engine serial number T04045T835828. model year is around 2005ish. I see some marks on some gears but none on the crank. There is several marks on the injector pump drive gear. Engine has 2 balancer shafts one drive off crank one driven off the oil pump. Thanks for any help.

Replies20
  1. #1john hofer2014-11-24 18:24

    Timing tool you need a timing tool ,they use the marks on the fuel and cam to line up the crank 90 degrees

  2. #2partsandservice2014-11-24 20:30

    The crank shaft must be timed at the flywheel. You then use a string to pull center of crank shaft to center of cam and have the cam mark inline with the string. You do the same thing with the fuel pump gear , center crank to center fuel pump shaft, except which mark used will be determined by type of injection pump. You then drop the idler gear, some small movement may be required here , then recheck the marks again by the string. This is a correct procedure without a doubt.

  3. #3mattyt19842014-11-24 20:58

    Thanks does anyone have copy of manual on this with pics?

  4. #4d9gdon2014-11-24 21:08

    partsandservice is right. He means that you have to pin the flywheel to time it. My experience is with the 6 cylinder 6068 which doesn't have the balancers. That special tool is just a Y shaped thing that you set on the crankshaft snout (the Y centers it on the crank) and there's a straight edge attached to the Y that lines up with the mark on the cam. I just used a long straight edge instead of string to line it up per the local JD dealership who lets me borrow tools.

  5. #5partsandservice2014-11-24 21:09

    I have that info I believe . What type injection pump does it have?

  6. #6mattyt19842014-11-24 21:21

    It has the stanadyne rotary style pump

  7. #7partsandservice2014-11-25 16:28

    Hope this is definitive enough. I use a string or piece of wire. Fuel pump gear mark 4.

  8. #8partsandservice2014-11-25 16:46

    Only five attachments per post, here are the rest including crank timing.

  9. #9mattyt19842014-11-26 21:26

    Thank you very much!

  10. #10gswindoll2015-07-07 22:27

    Could you please send me this info ?

  11. #11Grandboatman2016-02-18 10:05

    I have a 6068t. When I pin flywheel do I pin on 1 tdc or 6 tdc to time? I've pinned on one but engine won't rev up. Only maybe half throttle. Also #1 injector is wet when I pull it. Two marks on injection pump gear. 4 and 6. I've read it should have more. I have stanadyne db4 pump. Timed on #1 tdc if I turn injection pin clockwise as facing the front of engine it revs just a tad higher but still only half throttle. Any help is appreciated.

  12. #12Delmer2016-02-18 12:18

    I don't understand that, is there more than one timing hole in the flywheel? #1 and #6 are at TDC at the same time, one is at end of compression and the other is at end of exhaust. Need to look at valves, or timing cam and crank gear, to be sure which is which. From post #8: stanadyne 6 cylinder uses S6 timing mark. Is this a rebuilt engine or injection pump, or an engine that developed a problem? What's the history of the engine and your experience with timing engines?

  13. #13Grandboatman2016-02-18 17:51

    One timing hole in flywheel. Sets engine at tdc on 1 then rotate 360 and engine will be on tdc on 6. Figured out has to be on 1 but when I line the gear up 6 mark to center of crank engine doesn't run right. So I moved pump gear one tooth toady and engine ran worse. On tdc pump has to be turned clockwise to gain a few rpms but won't reach full throttle. When I moved gear 1 tooth pump had to be turned all the way clockwise just to run so I moved pump gear the opposite way 2 teeth that would make pump gear 1 tooth counterclockwise out of tdc and I had to turn pump all the way counterclockwise looking at back of pump. So in the am I am going to put engine to tdc in 1 and verify that my pump gear is 1 tooth off of so can I mess with governer screws? Pump was just rebuilt engine had been under water. But if I didn't mess up on my teeth count today it's like to get timing right it needs to be in between gears which is impossible because movement in pump should take care of that. Any ideas.

  14. #14Tractorguy2016-02-18 18:04

    It should be lined up with 6 because it's a "6" cylinder engine. The 4 is ONLY for 4 cylinders. You shouldn't have to mess with the governing screws if a ship built it and tested it? Who did that work? Sounds like when you pulled it the engine wasn't timed? Has everything been apart? How are you certain nothing was messed up being submerged? I don't think just timing the pump is the issue?

  15. #15Grandboatman2016-02-18 19:55

    That's what I thought too that's why I lined it up on six. When there starts easy but when I first started it revved up for 5 minutes then stuck at half throttle. When I turn the pump it revs just a bit high like it's trying to get there. I guy in Tulsa that all dealerships know but pump. All day he is great. I don't know if it was tdc when pump was pulled. When I got it I had new pump in hand and front cover of engine off. I read and went to tdc in 1 on lined string up with six. It reeves for a couple minutes then back to half throttle. No electronics are hooked up. Intake is off so no restrictions there. Compression is 370-300 so a bit off but should run under no load I would think. I have tan valves and they are in checked can hear alignment and it is on. I'm scratching my head

  16. #16Grandboatman2016-02-18 19:59
  17. #17Delmer2016-02-18 20:06

    Have you had the injectors checked, or tried disconnecting them one at a time? And what are the symptoms when it wasn't running right or reaching full rpm? Might as well look at the crankshaft gear key from the end to see if it lines up, and doesn't have any play? Timing too advanced should make more detonation clatter and black smoke, too late should be too quiet and white smoke if really late. If you're on the right tooth, the symptoms won't change that much in the adjustment window/bolt slot. edit: I didn't see your last post, what kind of fuel supply are you running this off? did it ever sound like it's hunting and revving on it's own?

  18. #18Grandboatman2016-02-18 22:37

    Had injectors tested. Three were bad bought three new. It starts quick and blows black smoke. Revs up to maybe half throttle smoke clears up a bit. Doesn't surge just won't rev up. I got this as a basket case so not sure how it was before. I know I'm missing something. Just haven't found it yet. No hinting or reving on its own. Flushed tank and using that. Electric pump to pump to injector pump. That was on unit when j got it. Black smoke makes me think Rich but smoke cleans up as it revs. Should I look into that electric pump maybe not pumping enough? Guy that rebuilt injection pump said it would run off gravity flow fuel from a bucket. Maybe electric fuel pump is actually a restriction cause it's not pumping enough??

  19. #19Grandboatman2016-02-22 21:51

    found out timing was good first itme i set it. got to thinking it reved fine and sounded fine. then we tried to move hydraulics then engine died and since then hes not reved up unless you drive it. thinking its a hydraulic issue. we are draining system now and will finish flushing when new filters get in. thinking that the filters were clogged and maybe hydraulics were lugging the engine.

  20. #20Volvomad2016-02-24 19:19

    Some older standadine pumps had a valve in the return line that I had to remove after sudden power loss . Running 15 years without it . Mid 80's tractor . I am not familiar with the newer pumps . My 6068T s both have lucas .