Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Timing issues

smlacy · 2024-09-27 21:26

I have a Ford 550 TLB. I removed the injector pump to have it rebuilt, and the engine was turned over with pump removed. It is a 3 cyl with a CAV pump. Now it won't start. Is there anyway it can be 180 out?

Replies3
  1. #1Simon C2024-09-27 22:12

    On a 3 cylinder engine the pistons are firing every 240 Degrees apart. It is not like a 4 cylinder engine that has traveling companion cylinder. EG., 1-4 , 2-3 . You may have to pull front end cover to find marks on timing gears. Not sure what style of gear train that unit has. Do you have a overhaul manual for the unit that details how to time injection pump. Fuel shop can time pump for number 1 cylinder, but you will have to get number 1 to correct point before TDC according to specs. That is a good starting point. Simon C

  2. #2smlacy2024-09-28 10:46

    This pump has a pin that goes into the gears. So, theoretically it should no t be a problem. I guess, of the engine was turned with the pump removed, it is possible to be in the wrong position. Timing marks line up perfectly. I will check next week. Thank you

  3. #3thepumpguysc2024-09-28 15:16

    The engine can be set with the pin.. that won’t change.. all u have to do is find #1 cyl on the pump. If u give me the pump #, I can probably tell u what letter in the side cover the c clip should be aligned to.