Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Timken Bearing CM102949 vs LC10294

joetx ยท 2021-01-18 17:49

Working on an axle on a Case 1840. The Bearing on it is a CM102949 and I looked for it on the net and being directed to LC102949 Are these the same? What's the difference. Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2021-01-18 19:04

    Just wondering out loud if the "CM" prefix means nothing more than "Case Machinery".? Timken manufacture bearings for a number of OEM's. It might also mean that the bearing has something special about it that is not exactly the same as a bearing you'd get from your local bearing supplier. Is the bearing just a plain single-row taper bearing, or is it two single-row bearings back-to-back with a spacer in between them.? 102949 is the reference for the cone which is only half of a taper roller bearing assembly. What's marked on the cup.?

  2. #2joetx2021-01-18 19:59

    Haven't got that far, the cups are still in place. going to try to get them out tomorrow. From what I have left of the inner bearing, I think it's single-row. Found only one bearing barrel and it fit perfectly in the cone. Wonder if this kit off ebay is worth buying? This 1840 is just an old loader I use infrequently at the shop to move stuff around. It's not like I'm going commercial with it. Thanks, Joe. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Bear...IOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

  3. #3Nige2021-01-18 21:42

    Here's an extract from the Timken catalogue if it's any help. See why I asked what the Cup P/N was..? There are two options.

  4. #4joetx2021-01-19 13:29

    O.K. cup is a Timken LM 102910.

  5. #5lantraxco2021-01-19 15:33

    Yup, the letters in front of the numbers are typically manufacturer indicators. One of the Japanese manufacturers puts a "4T" in front of everything.

  6. #6alrman2021-01-19 15:47

    I buy those LM102910 Timken bearings to suit the 1840 axles as Set 47 - cup & cone in the box.

  7. #7joetx2021-02-03 13:51

    Thanks for the help. Got it buttoned up.