Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 240(?) skid steer

ogre01 ยท 2021-01-19 11:30

I'm trying to help out some kin with a JD skid steer. I've operated the machine, but don't recall the actual model number. Says its in a no electric power condition. Can't reach the battery to make a good connection with cables with the boom down. I'm going to be heading over in a couple of days to help and am just trying to get a good base of knowledge for possibilities. The battery is likely toast, I believe its around 10 years old, I also would guess the terminals are not making good contact to the posts. My first troubleshooting will be to access the battery and get those connections cleaned up/replaced. Seems like the boom needs to be raised in order to properly do this. I read on a different thread about a cable that will release hydraulic pressure ( HeavyEquipmentForums ). However this post is referencing a 3xx series which sounds like a much more improved build than the 2xx series. Is there a cable-pull hydraulic release in the 240 series? Is it on the "passenger" side of the machine inside the cab? Will this release also let me roll it backward (currently dead with forks on, under an old farm truck that doesn't work either)? I do have access to a backhoe that would be able to drag/lift anything on the skid steer, just want to make darn sure I don't cause damage to it. Thanks all.

Replies3
  1. #1JBrady2021-01-19 11:59

    I don't know anything about JD skid steers, but almost all skid steers have some provision for lowering the boom manually. They are pretty simple machines, you should be able to figure out what knob/lever that is. It won't be an electrical switch, it will be something that will require some force, as you are actually opening a bypass down in the service valve. Pulling the machine out with a backhoe should be fine, especially if you are on dirt/gravel. If it was me, I'd take the forks off before attempting to lift the boom with the hoe. Keep in mind there won't be anything holding the boom up other than the hoe so be sure to put in the locking device or somehow safely block the boom up so it doesn't fall if the backhoe were to fail.

  2. #2ogre012021-01-19 12:21

    Thanks JB. Yeah, we have to drag it backward to lift the forks off, fortunately they're light-duty (weight). It is in dirt and this machine does have manual lockouts already on the arms. I will have a nice level area too with wheel chocks.

  3. #3Zkdiesel2021-01-20 06:46

    With finagling you can get a battery charger on the batt with the boom down.