Can anybody help.. I've had this problem for a while, I haven't been able to figure it out. The tipper goes up fine, but will only sometimes come back down all the way. I've taken undone the hoses on the manual valve but it still doesn't come down...
When I load machine on back it slams down hard.
Not 100% sure about your description but have had problems with cylinder that had adjustable packings if too tight being very slow to lower dump body when empty.
Hmm my photos didn't work... ?
I'm quite mechanically minded but this one stumps me on where to start. I thought it was dirt in the release but it seems to be clear when I pulled the hose off.
Adjustable packings? Can they go out of adjustment? The tipper ram used to work fine and then intermittently started doing it and now it's gotten to the point where it's every time.
The packing's Kshansen is talking about are on each section of your ram. Pictures would be quite helpful. The nuts for each section of your ram are usually adjustable to take up the wear that occurs from use. There is usually a set screw or two in these nuts. You loosen the set screws and turn the nuts to loosen or tighten the packing seals. You may have a seal that has piled up in on of your sections that's causing the problem... remember to always block those dumps for safety's sake.
Sounds like you have a single multi-stage hoist cylinder, right? If so, your problem is probably due to wear in the bearings between each stage. Because these things extend to maybe 20 feet at perhaps a 30 degree angle, they sag in the middle under their own weight and the bearings (wear rings) get a hard time. Eventually the stages jam and won't retract under the weight of the empty body. You could try getting the cylinder rebuilt, but you might find that a new one is more economical.
Oh no I think you could be right... Yes it's a multistage ram. It seems to be the very last ram at the top that's jamming.. And like I said when I load machine on it really snaps down with a bang. Damn.. A new cylinder is going to be thousands....
Could I possibly extend the life of it by twisting the cylinders 90 or 180 degrees?
Nothing to lose by trying it.