Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tips for excavator operators

Cowboyrob ยท 2019-12-08 11:02

Can anyone give me some tips or tricks when operating an excavator. Ive been on several over the years but never done highway work.

Replies12
  1. #1Ronsii2019-12-08 11:31

    Don't swing over the cars as they go by....

  2. #2Cowboyrob2019-12-08 11:44

    Lmfao...Ronsii, im not that new. Like dont put the blinker fluid in the gas tank lmao

  3. #3Mother Deuce2019-12-08 11:51

    They are a little odd about how much counterweight you give them too

  4. #4Cowboyrob2019-12-08 11:52

    What does that even mean mother deuce?

  5. #5Mother Deuce2019-12-08 11:55

    Seriously though... stay situationally aware of people and vehicles entering your proximity. It is important not to tag anybody or anything with the machine. Work a little slower till you have a comfort level with your machine and the people sharing your space as you need to think for them if they aren't.

  6. #6Mother Deuce2019-12-08 11:59

    Unless you have a zero swing the counterweight is going to be moving left as your going right. I work on bridges mostly. I always have to crowd my work area to swing to the truck and keep the counterweight out of traffic.

  7. #7Cowboyrob2019-12-08 12:01

    I use both a zero swing and counter weighted.

  8. #8Bls repair2019-12-08 12:41

    Always keep an eye on condition of trench (cracks in dirt ,loose rocks ,undermining). Follow OSHA rules for trenching. Just remember if anybody gets hurt in a trench dug incorrectly by you ,you will be held responsible. Keep an eye on people around the machine . Sometimes they do stupid stuff. The boss told a new guy to put a line up so they could paint a line for the trench. AS I was digging the guy climbed underneath the machine between the tracks and popped his head out where I was digging. Scared the crap out of me.

  9. #9Cowboyrob2019-12-08 12:42

    Lmmfaooooo. Sometimes you have to think for other people

  10. #10Blocker in MS2019-12-08 18:31

    Do not hang the electric lines. Knew someone that did over I-55. Brought down all the traffic lights, a couple on cars. No one was happy the way I remember. The operator actually had gone into diabetic shock in that situation and kept swinging. There was a very seasoned (40 years at least) operator around here that walked his machine backwards knocking his wife unconscious not long ago. They have worked together laying pipe many years. Never become complacent to your environment. Establish right of way. If I have never worked with a crew before I tell them my tractor has no brakes. I will not stop. Usually people steer clear....maybe that is from the smell though. It could not be from the ugliness....that is why the tractor has tint.

  11. #11Phantom9702019-12-11 18:46

    Full mirror tint would have looked way cool on that Steiger

  12. #12Blocker in MS2019-12-11 19:38

    I have seen a Kubota in full mirror tint.