Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire age

charles walton ยท 2014-09-05 02:17

Can someone tell me the DOT maximum legal tire age for commercial and farm heavy trucks and trailers?

Replies10
  1. #1mitch5042014-09-05 19:32

    There is none in SC, so there must be none in the federal regs; but Ga may have a rule on it.

  2. #2charles walton2014-09-05 20:58

    Thanks Mitch,I was thinking there might be something on the federal level because cappers down here don't want casings over 4 years old.

  3. #3mitch5042014-09-05 21:10

    Recappers don't want them because they have to warranty them.

  4. #4stumpjumper832014-09-05 21:35

    Same in Pa, Ive heard rumors about tire age limits but that's all. And another thing, locally the coppers turn a blind eye toward farmers and ag in general.

  5. #5Labparamour2014-09-06 13:04

    I have wondered the same. Have some weather-checking on my tires but still great tread. DOT search says nothing about it and asked State Patrol Commercial Vehicle officer say nothing about that being an out-of-service condition. So, replaced the steer tires but, at $500 a tire to replace, I think I'll run the drives a bit longer.

  6. #6mitch5042014-09-06 15:45

    Back in the days when I was buying 50 recap 22.5s and 24.5s a month, that's what the recappers told me; once they got to know me, they would cap an older tire for my demolition trailers, but stamped to id that they had no warranty.

  7. #7tuney4432014-09-06 16:19

    Here in NY I asked a DOT officer,said that there really is no age limit yet but that there is something coming down the pike so right now the tire in question is up to the discretion of the officer as for tire rot.My personal observations with non scientific data tells me a tire is really not safe after app.8 years.

  8. #8stumpjumper832014-09-06 18:07

    I know this after loosing a pair on the rear of a triaxle dump, and a steer on my pickup some years later, when they start checking its time for new rubber. When the steer went on my f-350 I almost lost control. A friend was driving a semi / lowboy combo and lost a steer, and it wiped out the hood. To sum it up, yes tires are expensive, but they are cheaper than tires, hoods, tows, and tickets combined.

  9. #9Labparamour2014-09-06 18:33

    Agreed it's best to be safe- which is why I replaced the steers. However, I seem to see a lot of new looking rubber strips along the road. Not sure if those are caps failing or new.

  10. #10Catback2014-09-09 07:40

    I don't know of any DOT limits, but 5 years to retread and 10 years for the tire and they're off the road....sooner if need be (of course).