Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire monitoring

Truck Shop · 2023-03-17 19:05

Some on here probably already know this, check your tires. States Use Road Sensors to Combat Treacherous 'Tire Carcasses’' Truck tire blowouts and defects have caused hundreds of deaths. www.pewtrusts.org

Replies18
  1. #1cfherrman2023-03-17 20:05

    With climate change being in the first sentence, I didn't bother with the rest of the rag.

  2. #2Truck Shop2023-03-17 20:25

    Yeah yeah yeah-don't read it you might learn of up coming items to hinder your travels. I couldn't give a damn about the climate change part of it. But the next item along with tire monitoring is high definition cameras mounted at tire height to check for cracked aluminum wheels or any other items plus infrared to check wheel hubs and brakes.

  3. #3Acoals2023-03-17 20:32

    Oh look, more sophisticated monitoring technology for the government to keep tabs on people with . . .

  4. #4_Weldman_2023-03-17 23:11

    My trailer only goes few miles every year, I don't need to change out all eight tires on my tandem axle dually trailer, just change the 4 in the back with brand new tires and don't mind the 4 in the front that are 8 years old. Though if you could, take best one of the 8 year old tires and find me a new rim and mount it on it for a spare without using a tire cage, you will be fine. Words spoken 2 days ago going through my head as I cup my co ck and balls hoping it won't get damaged when the tire I was airing up for the spare explodes. Sometimes you need some tech for the incompetent ones in life to save the competent. I only aired that tire up enough to seem full around 50 psi, my limbs and life were more important than your wallet that is too cheap to buy a new tire or tire cage.

  5. #5bam19682023-03-18 10:00

    I read about this awhile back. While the numbers they use in the article for deaths and injuries may seem large, to me they seem very small if you put them in perspective to the total miles run in that time period. Esp the 360 deaths in 4 years!! I'm not a fan of running junk tires but to me it just looks like another 'money grab' for the DOT.

  6. #6Truck Shop2023-03-18 10:57

    The rules already existed-just using technical/electronic side to catch and enforce. So far have not heard of any citations written warnings only with a out of service get it fixed.

  7. #7joe--h2023-03-18 17:44

    Gotta wonder how flat tires affect climate change? Joe H

  8. #8Acoals2023-03-18 20:05

    They just do, silly rabbit ...

  9. #9joe--h2023-03-18 21:58

    That's silly wabbit to you, Elmer. Joe H

  10. #10John C.2023-03-18 23:59

    A tire cage isn't that expensive. I did a lot of tire work when I worked at the coal mines and in those days all were split rims. I don't know how dangerous it is to do tubeless but I wouldn't want to experience a blow out airing one up.

  11. #11Old Doug2023-03-19 10:44

    The other night after it had got up to 60 i was going to lock the shop up. It was dark and the wind was blowing i heard a hissing noise . It was coming from a tire on my IH wench truck . It has tube tires i guess the tube gave out around the valve stem. With the kind of truckers on the roads now days we need stuff like this more and more.

  12. #12_Weldman_2023-03-19 10:52

    I might fabricate it myself and make sure my name is welded on it so when I leave it comes with me. Pretty simple design about 6 rolled tubes of steel welded to a base plate with some mesh between to catch the small stuff.

  13. #13John C.2023-03-19 11:14

    Unless you have a welding certification and an engineers signature on a drawing, don't bother. Been there, done that. I know you will do it right and it will be safe. The problem is that it will be a target for someone to throw legal rocks at.

  14. #14cfherrman2023-03-19 13:28

    If only you use it it's fine but if others...... I'm sure it's cheaper to buy one than it would to make it

  15. #15cfherrman2023-03-19 13:30

    This happened to my friend a few months back, rather new tire, blew up while seating the bead and flipped the tire over. Tire is super cheap there's no sidewall to it, feels like a p metric tire.

  16. #16Truck Shop2023-03-19 14:22

    What's known as a zipper. Hercules

  17. #17Birken Vogt2023-03-19 21:04

    Killed a friend of mine years ago out on the side of the Superslab.

  18. #18Old Doug2023-03-20 07:57

    Build it at home and dont ever say who or were.