I’ve got a 1988 dt466c 210hp reman engine bosch mw pump with unknown miles, very little blow by. Was driving the truck the other day and it just took a dive in power and started smoking heavy black smoke under acceleration and steady grey smoke at idle. My first thought was a stuck open injector. I removed all injector lines and spun the engine over to check and see if one was stuck open that didn’t alert to any issue. I did however change injector three & six for remans. Still did not fix any issue. At this point after idling while trying to diagnosis my problem I noticed oil coming from the hot side of the turbo, so I replaced the turbo. I noticed oil inside of #3 cylinder exhaust port and some but not as much on #2. Turbo did not clear up any issue either. Truck doesn’t appear to be loosing oil but is blowing a fair amount of black liquid out exhaust. Just looking for some help any way I can get it.
I would suggest checking compression and your fuel is not real old?
Just had topped tank off 15 miles before this mishap.
Might have gotten some bad fuel Drain some into a clear container
I wouldn’t expect that would explain the oil pouring out the exhaust. Or that’s what I believe it to be it doesn’t have a fuel smell to it.
Agree unless it had some water in it and something broke. If not that, I would go back to check compression
Is the truck intercooled?
No sir
I guess you won't have to check far to make sure the charge air system is tight . . .
My thoughts was on the turbo and after you changed it there might be a lot of oil in the exhaust still, see if you can run the exhaust off to be sure but I don't think this is it.
Is there a wastegate on that turbo?
I ran it for about 35 minutes this morning. Oil (or whatever it is) just dribbles out of the exhaust and the slip joint on the manifold. But the strange thing is I’m not loosing oil so I have my suspicions that it may be fuel in soot mixing but I’ve swapped the #3 injector where most of the substance was located when I pulled the manifold with 2 different injectors still same results.
No not on this model
No two connections and an exhaust pipe is all
Had a school bus come to the shop last summer with a Maxxfarce with the same complaint. Turned out the driver filled it with gasoline by mistake. My dad bought a new diesel pickup in the early 1990s and the first time he put fuel in it from the diesel pump he filled it with a mix of gas and diesel. The guy delivering fuel to the gas station filled the underground diesel tank with gasoline.
One time I mixed gas with diesel in my new to me truck, I then had a 3000 Lb paper weight that need all the fuel pumped out
I’ll siphon some out of the tank and check it tomorrow I did get fuel at a small country store so it could be a possibility. I’ve bout ran out of ideas my self and money to boot!
I'd check the shaft from both sides. It sounds like you broke the turbo.
I just took it out of the box last night. May have 35 minutes of run time showing the same symptoms as the one I just took off of it. I’m not real turbo savy but I just find it hard to fathom that a brand new one would do the same thing right off the bat. But with the week I’ve had anything would be possible.
So sorry, i passed right over the replaced turbo part. Looking at the turbo that failed. Was the compressor side wet? You said the exhaust was wet at 2 & 3 which would make sense since the turbo outlet feeds right into the area feeding 2 & 3. Oil would naturally accumulate there first. If the compressor side was dry and the intake was dry, that only leaves injectors. As cfherrman pointed out, it could be residual. Unless you wash it clean with brake cleaner, the only way to get rid of the slobber is to run her hard under load to "burn" it out.
The old turbo was leaking on the exhaust side the same way as this one so I believe I prematurely swapped turbo just throwing parts at it. I may put it on the road tomorrow and run it up good and hot.
As long as the intake side is dry. Last thing you want is a runaway. Good luck
What really baffles me about the whole thing is I’m not short on coolant or oil I’m still on the full mark on the stick and coolant is topped off, but the mystery fluid doesn’t smell like diesel. But it is steadily slobbering out the exhaust. Almost to the point it reminds me of condensation that comes out of the tailpipe on a gas burner from time to time.
Possibilities are valve seals, excess idle time, stuck AFC causing advanced timing or a failed injector. If you have an infrared temp gun, shoot the exhaust runners and see which is running cool. If you don't have one, you can use crayon or birthday cake candles, see which melts last.
it’s a dump truck so it does a fair amount of idling while loading. Once it starts it runs all day.
This is just a little above idle if you run the rpm up it get extremely heavy. I ran the truck today up to operating temperature still no change still slobbering swapped back to original turbo and let it run at 1500rpm for probably 30 minutes. Oil is still at the full mark. I used an infrared thermometer to check temp at each exhaust port with the manifold on and got consistent readings on all but two injectors they were about 30 degrees cooler than the other 4 coincidently they were the two I replaced. With the fact that the oil level isn’t dropping like I thought it would be the way it’s slobbering should I just replace the other 4 injectors or have any of y’all got any suggestion on something else to try?
Just what were the temps at each exhaust port? Using the infrared check coolant temp at top hose to radiator tank also.
Found the problem has a broke rocker arm on #3 cylinder now to pull the head and find the cause.
I would think with a broken rocker arm, she'd have had a bad miss and some popping through the exhaust or huffing through the air cleaner. Hope it's not too terrible.
It does have a slight miss at idle that’s what lead to the injector swapping I wish I would’ve pulled the valve cover $1200 ago. Any chance that the rocker arm could’ve just broke on it’s own? Push rod doesn’t seem to be damaged. And the valve is in the fully closed position. I really do appreciate all the help I’ve received so far.
I wouldn't hesitate to slap a new arm on the shaft. I would remove the injector and blow air in the cylinder with both valves fully closed and have someone listen to the exhaust and the intake. Make sure you don't have air just blowing through either side. That way you know for sure, your valves didn't get hurt. Also, look at your valve spring, make sure nothing is broken or jammed between the coils. The way that arm failed says it tried to compress something solid. It could have just been fatigue. Can't tell from pic.
Your going to have remove the rocker arm assembly anyway-one way to check valves is place a straight edge across the the top of valve stems. Some will have sank in the valve seats--expect the intakes to be slightly higher than exhaust. Probably find a difference in height of 0.10 to 0.15 across the board. If you find a valve on #3 is sunk below the rest you know you have a issue. But those International rockers are stamped/pressed steel and were known to crack/break. The gas 345/392 used similar and would break one now and then.
All the valves appear to be the same height but on the rocker arm that broke that coil spring is coil bound. Any way I can replace that spring without pulling the head?
You can do it by rotating that cylinder/piston to the bottom, with injector removed and using a compression tester converted to plug shop air to it, pressurize that cylinder. Using a KD brand in chassis screw type spring compressor to collapse spring and remove valve locks. Reverse to install. Some have done it with piston at TDC to keep the valve from falling, but you will want to make sure engine can't rotate. Two choices. Both ways have been done.
I do it at TDC. Clutch engaged in 5th gear. With a 3/4 SAE pointed bolt screwed in to just in between the ring gear teeth. Long story short. I tried to do it at BDC. My air line failed. Got smacked in the head with a whipping hose and dropped the valve. The seal caught it at the keeper groove. I have done it at TDC ever since.
There is tons of videos of guys doing this to small block Chevy and the like.