Rear tires on my backhoe need up graded. Size is 21L-24 R4, the LR is an Alliance 12 ply and the RR is a Firestone 16 ply heavily dry rotted. New tires are not in the budget so I bought two fairly decent used Firestones. But what I didn't realize is they are only 10 ply. The manual says to use 12 ply. I would like to find another Alliance to mach the one I have but for now I was planing to use the two Firestones. My Dynahoe 1900 weighs 24,000 LBS, so I'm kinda wondering, could this be a bad combination? Will it be bouncy and unstable? Thanks!
What happened to the forum!? Yuck!
I don't see why 10 ply wouldn't work I'm sure they both have the same side walls. I thought I had the wrong site here .
Tires are a costly wear item but can be managed by working with your application. Depending on the underfoot conditions such as rocky ground, you may need a heavier ply but if in soft conditions you can utilize a lighter ply. Dry rot goes with age and needs proper air pressure to lengthen the useful life of the tire. FYI: I had a 200 Dynahoe 30 years ago and found it to be a beast, rugged but a monster. I have found Firestone to be a very good tire.