Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire question…

DIYDAVE ยท 2022-05-23 19:28

Just picked up a little drop axle trailer, currently has a set of 11+year old 205 75 R15's on it. Drags ass end , going down a steep-ish hill, to where I park/store it. I think if I could get it an inch or 2 higher, dragging would stop. Here's my question, Does anybody make a 205 85 R15 trailer tire?

Replies7
  1. #1heymccall2022-05-23 21:51

    225/75r15 trailer tires would add 0.6" of height. The only other way to gain height is to modify the suspension. What's it got for suspension?

  2. #2DIYDAVE2022-05-23 21:56

    Simple single drop axle, bolts to frame, I see where you are going, that's a lot of work, to shim it up right... Even the wider tires, might not clear the axle, its close right now. I might have to do some hilbilly engineering...

  3. #3Delmer2022-05-23 22:17

    Sounds like there might be a 215/85-15 but I couldn't find any. There are 31x9.5-15 but they seem to be all off road mud bogger type tread, and $$$. There are old 15" heavy duty trailer tires that were quite tall, maybe even on moving van trailers and car haulers? like this or similar: https://www.prioritytire.com/loadma...hQ43I2k8xbNfqINRiR-kVZ6UJZRPxQKRoCn4QQAvD_BwE

  4. #4gwhammy2022-05-24 19:00

    There is a 7.50-15 that's 27 inches tall I'm guessing bias.

  5. #5ianjoub2022-05-24 19:17

    Maybe a junkyard for 16" tires and wheels with correct bolt pattern?

  6. #6DIYDAVE2022-05-24 20:05

    I think I got it figgered out, cheap. Gonna put 2 little 10" wheels, like from a mover's dolly, on the ass end of the trailer, sos they hit a inch lower than the back frame...

  7. #7DIYDAVE2022-05-25 20:03

    Got the wheels mounted, put them in the tailgate hinge pins! Figgered that's where the strongest metal was,plus I didn't have to drill any holes in the trailer... Trailer looks a lot like this: https://sleequipment.com/6-4-x12-al...9T3h0eEf6TVizZUmDBSbDjcIQ_vX1U2RoCw3gQAvD_BwE