Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Deck Board Fasteners

csthompson12 · 2022-05-22 20:22

I'm replacing deck boards on a 12T deck over trailer.. What do you guys like to fasten down the boards? I didn't really want to tap a bunch of screw holes into the cross members. Has anyone used something like this?

Replies10
  1. #11466IH2022-05-22 20:29

    Steel deck trailer lol but all of the decking fasteners I have ever been around are self threading but still have to drill pilot holes. Have seen clips like that before but imagine it is more expensive going that way with extra cost of nuts, washers and the tabs.

  2. #2Truck Shop2022-05-22 21:12

    Those loosen over time.

  3. #3Junkyard2022-05-22 22:10

    I’ve seen it done that way, usual screws though the boards into the crossmember and also have seen bolts through wood and crossmember. The above is great on a lowboy with camber as it allows the boards to move as it flexes without breaking the hardware. Deck screws are self tapping, drill a starter hole and they’ll thread themselves in. It’s the best long term securement method on a trailer like that.

  4. #4Coaldust2022-05-22 23:21

    I’ve been happy with these. Fastenal keeps my bin full. SKU: 1132539 5/16"-18 x 2-1/2" 6-Lobe Flat Head Black Phosphate and Oil Finish Type F Point Floorboard Thread Cutting Screw

  5. #5skyking12022-05-23 00:39

    ^ those. I re-did the 2006 tilt and sure, every now and again a screw breaks off when you take up the old deck, but I take a few measurements and try not to hit the broken off screw or hole. As truck stop mentioned, those clips will start to loosen as the board shrinks and expands, and that does not seem to be an issue with the screws right into the frame.

  6. #6JLarson2022-05-23 00:41

    Never had good look with the tabs, self tapping floor screws, a box of drill bits, tube of cutting wax and your impact driver.

  7. #7suladas2022-05-23 01:11

    Old deck had the big washers, when I replaced it I went back to them, I like not drilling into the crossmembers it's also a way easier install. I wish I could have found it but my old decking was tongue and grove, except for where I had broken boards it wasn't loose at all. Decking only been on a few months but none are loose.

  8. #8shopguy2022-05-23 20:48

    Where can you get these tabs

  9. #9Jumbo2022-05-27 01:22

    With 8/4 Apitog decking, I used 3-1/4 5/16 self tapping screws. I burned up several pilot bits. Not through the steel, but through the Apitog decking. I would think that a trailer would flex way too much to keep proper tension on tabs like those.

  10. #10skyking12022-05-27 01:58

    that apitong though, it is the bomb. They won't replace those two decks I did with it.