I am thinking of using some screw in tire studs on my skid steer for aded traction this winter. I have looked at the Maxi Grip studs that claim that they can be easily removed and reinstalled and last about 600 hrs!! Any one have experiance with studs? do they grip as good as chains? I am hoping they will do less damage to my asphault driveway, will they? any advise or opinions will be great!!
I was locking at them but in steed I got one pair of chains , just for the front tires , easy to put on and remove , and the rice was right $185 for a pair , I understated that a package of30 mm, 200 pic is $220 it's that what you price ?
Yea I just bought a set of chains for $120. I think the studs were about $200 for 200 of them, I have a clearance problem with the chains, that is why I was thinking of studs instead
I am afraid that this kind of studs under skid steer weight when is loaded specially when turning they going to tare, my tires they have missing chunks of rubber and cuts from maneuvers... I hope I am wrong.
Studs do not grip as good as chains. We used to be able to run them on our automobiles here in Minnesota but were banned several years ago as they were hard on the pavement. Hope this answers your questions.
Not if you use lots of them:naughty
hey wild dan, Maxi grip studs are a good alternative to chains especially when you have clearance problem. They are easy on the machinery and won't damage your surfaces as would normal chains. Fuel economy, less bumpier ride, etc. They are available online on store such as : http://www.maxigripstore.com . Good luck
I have Telesdal chains on my skidsteer and it is impossible (almost) to get stuck, but will totally destroy any surface that is not frozen. Probably wouldn't be very nice to blacktop either. Put some of those screw in studs in my forklift tires this winter because chains are too rough riding on the concrete with a load. The studs work great when things are frozen solid, but make no difference when the snow is soft or slushy.
Have you looked at Grip Studs? Grip Studs have an auger style screw that holds better than other studs on the market. With a tungsten carbide tip, there are many different sizes to chose from. A more prominent tip will be a bit harsh on asphalt or concrete, so you would want to go with like the #1100 model to reduce wear on the harder surfaces. Because of the wide angle auger, you do less damage to the tread when you remove and re install them. Also because of the auger style, they will hold better and not tear the tread up. Other studs on the market are a molded basic screws that pulls out and pushes in easier. Grip Studs are machined, so they are stronger! Check them out http://www.gripstuds.com/Skid_Steer_Tire.php
Welcome to the Forum Grip Studs. Do you have an affiliation with the product in your link?:cool2