Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tires

CaptDave ยท 2008-02-19 11:43

Picking up my Case 530CK tomorrow. Yeehaw, finally getting it home. I know it needs one rear tire. I will be cleaning my property up. I was going to have the tires loaded. My farmer uncle advised against this in case I run over something and get a puncture. He says the backhoe will give me enough weight. What do you guys with all the experience think? Thanks for the input. Many guestions will arise I am sure, once I get fixing it up. Dave:canada :

Replies15
  1. #1Prep2008-02-19 12:54

    I would not load the tires but, I will recomend you use some type of sealant in them. We use "slime" in our backhoe tires and it does seem to help. May I also recommend that you replace both rear tires @ the same time.Matching tires on you hoe will make it easier for you and your machine to get on with the work at hand.Goodluck with you project!

  2. #2Phil2008-02-19 18:18

    Prep, Not sure what slime is, so could you tell me more about this product? CaptDave, You're not to far from me. I wouldn't load those tires either. Loader tires of that size(14.9 x 24) are pretty common and the last ones I had put on were only $500 each. Do not use a tractor tire. I have a 530 tractor wreck if you need a rim. I always use a tube. Phil:canada

  3. #3Prep2008-02-19 18:58

    Phil, Slime is the brand name for the tire sealant that we use. It's green and well... slimey. I don't know if it's any better then the other brands but, I do know we get less flats now that our tires have sealant in them.

  4. #4Countryboy2008-02-19 19:24

    Slime.com I use it in my 4 wheeler tires. Works great.

  5. #5surfer-joe2008-02-19 22:00

    Yeah! Don't load with chloride! Backhoes go through tires like I go through cheese. The tire sealant is a definite plus. The green stuff is good, there's some pink goo that's better. Don't remember the names any more, it's been some time ago. Both protect the rim from rusting, make it easier to mount/dismount the tires, and they do a pretty good job of sealing slow leaks, nail holes, etc. If you are careful, the liquid can also be re-used from one tire to another or back into the same tire after a repair. Check with a big-tire retailer that also services large tires. He will probably have the stuff in stock. DO NOT use the crap in aerosol cans from NAPA or Kragen and the like. That stuff is worthless! If you have big trouble with front tires going flat, you might consider having them foam filled. But if you are just working on your own property, the cost is not worth it. Use sealant and buy a small air compressor instead, to keep pressures where they belong.

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2008-02-19 22:17

    Remember if you have to buy a tire, you get what you pay for if ou buy a cheap Chinese tire. My last 580L still had the original Goodyear radials on the rear when we sold it, and it had over 7000 hrs. Had a couple flats, but got them patched, and good to go. No loading of tires either, too much corrosion on the wheel as well as the other reasons posted. As for the fronts, I went to the Michelin Radial, and went from replacing tires once a year to once in 3 years, and 1/4 as many flats in that time.

  7. #7Phil2008-02-20 06:00

    I agree with JDOFMEMI re tire quality. Firestones or Goodyears look good and last a long long time. Try and see the tire before you commit to the tire guy, if you are matching tread to the other side. Thanks for the info on tire sealant. Phil

  8. #8CaptDave2008-02-20 17:27

    Thanks for all the great info guys. On the prowl now for new rears. I never thought of the corrosion aspect of calcium. I got her to my cousins farm today, took a bit of work to get it on the truck it was frozen in to ground up to the rim and the whole area was at least 3 inches of ice. Silly me grinning like a Chesire cat when we sat it beside the barn.

  9. #9BozrahFordman2011-08-04 09:33

    Does anyone know of a source for good used tires in the northeast? I need a tire for my Ford 555 loader/backhoe - size 16.9 x 28.

  10. #10jamer2011-08-11 11:28

    Any reason not to load tires except for corrosion? I was thinking of using old antifreeze. Was also thinking that the extra weight would help in the snow as I only have 2wd.

  11. #11oldtanker2011-08-17 15:58

    The problem with snow and backhoe tires is the width of the lugs. Farm tractor have thiner lugs and get better traction but not by much even with fluid. I use my TLB to feed round bales in the winter. With a bale on the front the traction is bad but without it's OK with construction tires on it. The backhoe is heavy enough that I would not think about fluid in the tires. Rick

  12. #12osrf292011-08-21 11:05

    no loading equals less problems.....unless your machine is making you money every day

  13. #13DirtIsMyName2011-08-29 00:36

    Thanks, this old thread helped me out with a strange flat. Tractor sat for a couple days, had air in the morning, that afternoon a rear tire was flat. I could hear the air leaking out fast when I tried to put air in it. Picked up a gallon of Slime at the autoparts store and put half a gallon in the tire. Aired it up and drove around the yard. So far so good.

  14. #14truckerx2011-09-06 19:32

    good question= if you find one let me know!

  15. #15wlas2011-10-18 00:24

    I just bought a case 530CK, I think it's a 1966 model and one of the rear tires doesn't look real good, where's the best place to buy tires ? The other thing is the engine is a diesel a 188 and it runs good, but it's leaking raw fuel out of the exhaust right at the joint of the manifold and the stack. anyone have know what could be the problem ?