Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tires

Red Bank ยท 2009-08-03 22:53

I need some advice on tires for our backhoe fleet. We have two Cat 420Ds, one 416, and one 420EIT. All are 4X4. On the 420EIT I replaced the tires that came on it new (Michelin Radials) with some cheap bias ply tires. They lasted 8 weeks. I went back to the tire shop and finally compromised with them on replacing the fronts, they paid for one and we paid for one. I switched brands for the fronts but the rears are 2/3 worn and they would not talk about them. My question is should I stick with the overly high priced Michelin radials or is there a cheaper alternative that will last longer than 8 weeks. Although the backhoes are 4X4, we are using them basically in the streets on asphalt. The Michelins lasted a year and a half, about 1000 hours. The bias ply tires were gone at 100 hours. Any and all comments welcomed!

Replies7
  1. #1PSDF3502009-08-04 09:44

    You know Red I think you answered your own question. My question is should I stick with the overly high priced Michelin radials or is there a cheaper alternative that will last longer than 8 weeks. Although the backhoes are 4X4, we are using them basically in the streets on asphalt. The Michelins lasted a year and a half, about 1000 hours. The bias ply tires were gone at 100 hours. Remember you get what you pay for. jmo

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2009-08-04 17:24

    In my experience you never save money buying cheap tires. Michelin or Goodyear radial is the only way to go on a backhoe. You will also find less flats due to garbage of any kind with the good radials than the bias tires. I was putting bias on my 580 Case about every 3 months, with several service calls for flats in between new tires. Switched to Michelin radials on the front, and went 18 months before the first flat. Never run on bias again. By the way, it came with Goodyear radials on the rear, and when I sold it at 6,000 + hrs, it still had the original rear tires, and only one patch.

  3. #3JS580SL2009-08-04 22:40

    The 580 my dad had got a set of michelin radials for the front after a friend bought a set for his. Worth the money. Good on the road, good in dry material, terrible in mud. They wear pretty decent too, the company that bought the machine still has the original set we put on over 2 years ago. I forget the brand and size but another friend has a set of radials on his Super M on the front. Look just like what you would see on a loader. Think hes had them on for about 3+ years workin on the road every day. Expensive tires but worth the money. I have bias tires on the front of the 580 I run. If the boss lets me buy the next set, it will be michelin radials. The tires on it now, flex to easy and wear quick on the road every day. I wouldnt put radials on the rear though.

  4. #4watglen2009-08-05 08:32

    I have done some research on this, because my jcb 4wheel steer machine needs new rubber badly. The only definitive thing i've learned is that if you are roading the machine, the michelin radials are the only way to go.

  5. #5cr552009-08-05 18:49

    Stick with the good tires. I know they cost lots of money. but they're worth it in the lomg run. Using them on asphalt is going to wear them out quickly.........CR

  6. #6Red Bank2009-08-05 21:55

    Thanks guys, talked with the Boss yesterday and he agreed that we need to run the Michelin radials. Trust me the idea to run the cheap ones did not originate with me:cool2 and now I have a good example to use when I get a phone call about the money I spent for tires:drinkup

  7. #7cr552009-08-06 09:02

    Glad you're getting the good tires. Nothing worse than having a flat while you're on your way down the road!