Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Title for Heavy Equipment?

Bayrat ยท 2007-10-17 21:33

As some of you may have read, I am in the market for a piece of equipment. Although I am quite familiar with the operation of the stuff, I have never had to deal with the purchase and licensing. In NYS I see plates on all types of machines and for sure we drove many a backhoe from job to job in my day of doing that sort of thing. I am looking at two different machines at this point. What kind of proof of ownership should I expect to seen from a private owner in NY, if any? Thanks, Don

Replies2
  1. #1nedly052007-10-18 05:29

    We've never had a title, but when you go to register with DMV you need a "certificate of origin" that you get from the dealer. That and an insurance card and you can get a "special commercial" plate. It costs $11 for a year. Any time we've bought or sold from an independent seller we always give/get a bill of sale signed by both parties.

  2. #2Bayrat2007-10-18 13:21

    Thanks for the information, I assume the bill of sale will serve as the certificate. I do plan on having insurance and to license the machine due to working out in the road at times for my land clearing.