Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tl 130 starter problems

Jeff09 ยท 2015-10-30 17:45

My to 130 starter stopped work, had it rebuilt . Started great about 5 times. But started going downhill. To the point it only makes a contact sound and nothing else. Starter problem or what?

Replies7
  1. #1Delmer2015-10-30 18:04

    What's a contact sound? a loud click? a grinding gear noise with no engine turning noise? And how did it go downhill, gradually getting louder? slower? starting only some of the time?

  2. #2Jeff092015-10-30 21:13

    Nah. The sound cling, I have used the starter about 20 times. The last 3 times it tu turned over slow then . Clong Hit flywheel stop.

  3. #3bobcan2015-10-30 22:49

    Well, I will start with the 'simple quest/answer' _ Have you already taken apart, cleaned, tightened ALL the major connections (Battery - Solenoid - Grounds) involved in the circuit..?? If not, start that quest now.. The Starter Circuit uses more Amperage than any other in the system, and will fail given a poor connection (or Battery) before any other.. Good Luck

  4. #4Delmer2015-10-31 15:28

    The bad connection will make heat. It sounds like a traditional "burned out" to me, getting gradually weaker like that isn't what I'd expect from a loose connection. But if there's a load then there's heat and you'll be able to find it fairly easily. On the other hand, if the Clong/cling is just the solenoid operating and the contacts are burned out, then there will only be the load of the solenoid coil and that won't be enough to heat up any connections. Or the connection could be a loose connection that's good enough to click the solenoid but not crank, can you get a volt reading as you try to crank it? At the battery posts, then move up the cables if that makes sense.

  5. #5SDTN2016-10-25 10:48

    Hi Jeff09, I just saw this post. I have to remove the starter from my TL 150. Can you give me a brief description and any "tips" on how you removed your starter. I would really appreciate it. I am new to these machines.

  6. #6DIYDAVE2016-10-25 20:29

    in addition to what others have said, try turning the motor over a couple of revolutions, by hand, could be something binding. How many hrs on it?

  7. #7Matty1802016-10-30 09:10

    I had a similar problem with my tl130. I had to clean main ground contact to chassis. Roughed up to bare metal. Also sometimes the wire from battery to started coroding inside sheathing. If that's the case your not getting the right amount of voltage/amperage which in turn could burn up starter. I would start with checking main connections clean all of them up. If that doesn't help Then I would run a test wire from battery to starter to see if its the wire broken or partially broken. Matt