Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TL140 cranks but won’t run

Matt Hyatt · 2019-12-24 14:01

Hi Guys, Sorry to keep posting here for lame issues.... Seems every weekend I go out to start the skid and it's something different, and I'm totally new at this. Check the service manual but I don't really know where to start. It ran fine last weekend once I sprayed the rad hose sensors. Now it will only turn over and make a black puff of smoke, about 3 separate times, and on the 3rd time, slightly higher RPM, but never starts. Then I reset the key position, and try again, and exactly the same results. I was thinking maybe the battery was low the first time and it didn't crank enough to combust, so it flooded? since I'm seeing all that black smoke? so I got a jumper on it and it's cranking hard, but same issue. Could that be air in the fuel? Fuel stop solenoid? Any tips on where I should start?

Replies5
  1. #1Matt Hyatt2019-12-24 17:32

    i got it running, not even gonna mention what it was...

  2. #2skata2019-12-24 19:54

    Aw, come on now.

  3. #3Ronsii2019-12-24 19:58

    Don't tell me.... before you sprayed things down you covered the air intake???

  4. #4skata2019-12-24 20:14

    I'm guessing out of fuel.

  5. #5Matt Hyatt2019-12-28 10:43

    Okay okay I give in... when I posted that I wasn’t going to even mention it... I was ashamed. I thought it was out of fuel. I added a five gallon jug and it fired right up. The guage was Resing empty so I thought that was it. But I would have sworn I had at least 5 - 10 gallons in there. So yesterday I go to top it off and it overflowed and was full already with that 5 gallon jug that topped it off. WTH? Maybe the sending unit was stuck? Anyways, good guess Skata. Ran it hard yesterday with a Bradco tilt with valve and 4n1 that I used to clean up an old steep logging road in northern CA. My tracks are worn and it was muddy so I could at least use the grade of the hill to help me push things and gut. Really which I would have a 6 way, 4n1 bucket lol.