Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TL230 Series 2 float diagnosis

Coyote556 · 2020-07-01 15:41

I am working on a TL230 Series 2 float issue. I have tested the button at the right joystick and it is functioning correctly, but I get no current at the float solenoid plug over the control valve. I have a wiring diagram, but I am having difficulty figuring out which wire from the controller would feed the float solenoid so I can make sure I do not have a bad wire somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on tracking this down? Thanks

Replies33
  1. #1skata2020-07-01 23:00

    Have you checked the relay to see if it functions.

  2. #2Coyote5562020-07-02 11:15

    I didn’t see a relay in the float circuit on the wiring diagram but I could have missed it.

  3. #3skata2020-07-03 01:29

    Well I don't have a tl230 manual but on a tl140 there is a relay for float. Check that the relay is clicking on. Could be bad solder joint on there. Fairy common.

  4. #4Coyote5562020-07-10 21:57

    Ok, I have gotten this far, I have 12v coming in from the grip when I push the float button to pin x27 on the controller. I do not have 12v coming out of pin Y06 on the controller going to the float solenoid. The problem I have is the service manual does not say what parameters are required for the controller to send the 12v to the float solenoid. I don’t know if it’s checking a pressure sensor first or anything. I have checked the pin coming right out of the controller that goes to the wire feeding the solenoid and there is no voltage there if I push the float button or not. I know there has to be some parameters in the controller because the wiring diagram shows the controller is what lights the float light on the console also.

  5. #5skata2020-07-10 23:04

    Are you checking for voltage with the lap bar down and door closed ?

  6. #6heymccall2020-07-10 23:29

    Are you activating float correctly?

  7. #7Coyote5562020-07-11 16:02

    I did the testing with the seat bar down and I’ve also tested it out on the ground as shown in the manual. I just wonder if there’s some logic built into the controller that requires a signal from the up and down pressure sensors before it will send the 12 V to the float solenoid. I wish the service manual actually showed what signals were required before it sent 12v to the float solenoid. That would really help with the diagnosis.

  8. #8skata2020-07-11 16:18

    I'm pretty sure just the seat bar needs to be down. That's it. Where are you measuring voltage?

  9. #9Coyote5562020-07-12 00:04

    I have 12v coming into the controller at x27 when I push the float button. I have no voltage coming out of the controller at Y06. I checked it right at the controller. I have also checked the wire between y06 and the float solenoid and the wire is good.

  10. #10skata2020-07-12 01:25

    Did you check voltage at y06 with the solenoid unplugged? If it's shorted, it could show 0 volts.

  11. #11Coyote5562020-07-12 14:52

    Yes, it was unplugged when I checked at y06

  12. #12skata2020-07-12 15:58

    I can't tell from the drawings but is it a 24v or 0v output?

  13. #13Coyote5562020-07-12 16:03

    The output on y06 is nothing right now. I do not know if it is supposed to be 12 or 24v

  14. #14skata2020-07-12 16:49

    Ok. My cnc wiring days were coming to mind. I should have said negative output. Or is there a power input for the float to the control?

  15. #15heymccall2020-07-12 18:22

    Any chance you could share the whole schematic?

  16. #16Coyote5562020-07-12 21:06

    Sure. Here it is. I need all the help I can get. This is driving me crazy.

  17. #17skata2020-07-12 21:30

    Have you checked all your fuses? A few of the fuses feed into the controller.

  18. #18Coyote5562020-07-12 22:29

    Yes. All fuses are good

  19. #19skata2020-07-12 22:58

    I'd probably look at those arm pressure switches. Though I don't know how to check them. Make sure they're connected, no corrosion.

  20. #20heymccall2020-07-13 08:34
  21. #21Coyote5562020-07-13 12:22

    Ok. So I checked the raise and lower pressure switches like this. I have attached the harness diagram. It shows 40 is normally closed so I unplugged it and jumped across it. It shows 41 is normally open so I unplugged it and left it loose. Still no float ☹️

  22. #22skata2020-07-21 14:55

    Just checked my machine. Float doesn't work with engine not running. As long as engine is running and seat bar down, float works. Even without moving the joysticks.

  23. #23Coyote5562020-07-21 15:11

    That’s extremely good info for my testing. Thank you very much!!

  24. #24heymccall2020-07-21 19:04

    For testing float, wouldn't you leave #40 unplugged and not jumped? Or #41 unplugged and jumped?

  25. #25Coyote5562020-07-21 21:22

    I might be wrong but I think 40 would be jumped and 41 would be unplugged. Manual says 40 is normally closed and 41 is normally open.

  26. #26Coyote5562020-07-21 21:23

    Skata, what model machine is yours that you tested the float on?

  27. #27heymccall2020-07-21 21:29

    But, you want the opposite of their static position, one would think, because the instructions for float say the boom must be actually lowering (not static) to activate the float button.

  28. #28Coyote5562020-07-21 21:31

    That’s a good point. I will try that also next time I am working on it and obviously I will do all my future tests with the engine running.

  29. #29skata2020-07-21 21:48

    Gehl ctl70.... Basically a Takeuchi tl140

  30. #30Coyote5562020-07-21 21:49

    Ok thanks

  31. #31Coyote5562020-08-19 21:13

    Apparently it must’ve been of dirty connection on the controller because after cleaning everything and putting it all back together the float works fine.

  32. #32Sco2025-07-31 11:50

    Did you find a solution? I have the same issue with a 2014 tl12. Where are the controllers (exactly) you are referring to. Are they marked?

  33. #33Sco2025-07-31 11:56

    Where exactly are the arm pressure switches located?