Hi I have a 99 tl26 it can run all day and suddenly run very rough and stall, it feels like it is running out of fuel, i pump the primer and sometimes it comes good, what position should the primer pump be in? i think fuel is not getting through,any sugestions please.
If you mean what position should the spring loaded lever on the primer pump be in, it doesn't matter, but if the cam is operating the pump it then the lever won't work. You can tell a little bit by the feel of the pump, if you open a bleed screw and pump some fuel you'll see how the pump feels when pumping, and then close the bleeder and you'll feel the difference when it pumps up a to pressure after a few strokes, and if you remove the intake hose to the primer pump and cover it with your finger you'll feel what it's like to try to pump against a vacuum. Then check the primer asap the next time it stalls. If it has pressure or builds fast with the primer, then the look upstream at the filters, if it's pulling vacuum then look at the intake lines/screen/dead bugs in the tank. "i pump the primer and sometimes it comes good" does this mean that sometimes it pumps fuel and sometimes it doesn't pump any fuel?
Hi Delmer, My primer pump is a knob that locks into position, you have to unscrew it to enable it to pump, when the machine stalls i have to pump it a few times, and i did notice a small amount of fuel seeping from the knob once pressure builds up, i will check for air leaks, When the machine starts to run erratic there is no throttle control,i can reduce or increase the throttle and it does nothing, so im sure fuel is not getting into the engine,i have also changed all the filters and drained the tank and tried new fuel, all clean inside.
Scratch that- You could tee a pressure/vacuum gauge into the fuel supply line and see what changes when it stalls.
Hi Guys, just had the same problem, the machine ran good for about 40 min and just started to die,no throttle control, I unscrewed the primer hand pump and pumped it a dozen times and it tried to start, I then pumped it again a dozen times and it started and ran for a minute, again I pumped it and nothing. I had to get the wife to turn the key,(not happy) while I continually pumped the primer until it started and after about a minute the machine ran ok, but only ran for 10 min and I shut it down,I think fuel isnot getting through this section,any ideas please.
You have classic diesel bug symptoms. The primer pump should be fully depressed and screwed down clockwise during normal operation. It's not uncommon for this type of pump to weep a little fuel while pumping it.
I don't know why Lil'Puss from Brothel is so concerned about bugs? but, yeah, this sounds like fuel starvation. There's any number of angles to go at this, depending on what you have available and what you feel like. Could try: blowing air back through the fuel intake, by mouth it should bubble easily, if not, use an air hose to blow the crud out or better yet remove the hoses and strainers and inspect. Hook up a temporary tank to eliminate the fuel tank altogether. When it dies and you're trying to prime it again, crack some fittings to see if there is vacuum (sucks a bit of air when you open the line). Or tee a pressure/vacuum gauge into the line and see for sure where the problem is.
Well, for one thing, I have a lot of personal experience with them, and apparently you don't. Suggest you study up on them a little. They will become more of an issue as time goes on due to the mandated use of ULSD. The high sulfur count that was in the old fuel somewhat kept the bugs in abeyance. I'm curious what you do for a living that would have you ignore such an issue. And yes, living in a brothel could be fun I suppose.
Hey now, I'm not going into MY personal experiences, and I wasn't doubting you either. There are other things that could cause a plugged strainer/line, and I think finding the restriction is a better start than treating the tank. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best. I promise I've seen enough gunked up diesel tanks, and also insects, leaves and collapsed rubber. I'm sorry if I offended you, trust me, there's no disagreement on my end.
Ok, no offense taken. We can now be BFF's :laugh Now let's see what the OP does and finds.
Hi guys thanks for your help, I actually did drain all the fuel and treat the tank with a anti bug treatment but did not help. I even sprayed aerostart and what we have here in Aus is a product called start ya b*****d direct into the air intake but still no start. Thanks for letting me know Lil puss about the primer pump weeping a little as I was going to try and source a new one. One thing I did notice was that when the primer pump is left undone and the engine is turned the pump handle moves up and down which makes m think there is a blockage in the line, I will Delmer try and blow air back through the line next weekend when im back up at the farm.
Aha! There's the culprit! The valves and/or seats are sticking (or wasted) in the lift pump (of which the primer pump is part of). There are plastic check valve discs in the pump but the seats are steel and can become corroded and pitted. Suggest you disassemble and clean it thoroughly. If the fuel inlet uses a banjo bolt there may also be a screen it too. Removing the large spring loaded hex plug will make R & R easier. Don't lose any parts. Btw, just treating the fuel is not enough. You must thoroughly clean the fuel tank, return lines, and filter heads. This could be the cyanobacteria that you're dealing with.
thankyou Lil puss, I cant ,make it this weekend but I will let you know how I went, asap