Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

TL26 problem

ForsytheBros. ยท 2007-11-03 19:21

My brother recently picked up a used Tacheuchi TL26 tracked skid loader. Machine has 2000+ hrs (possibly mid 90's machine?) and appears to have been worked hard by previous owner. The unit has pilot controls. Our standard operating procedure was to replace all fluids / filters at purchase He ran the machine today and it appeared to be sluggish on power after about an hour's use. Later the machine developed erratic drive power; bucket lift and tilt worked great, but machine couldn't develop consistent forward drive, and sometimes erratic reverse as well. We even had difficulty loading the machine on a trailer as it didn't appear to have enough muscle to drive up the ramps. I drove the machine a little and even the control tower for the left side control was hot to the touch, as well as drive motors , etc. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this beast? I'm pretty skid loader illiterate. thanks

Replies25
  1. #1Squizzy246B2007-11-03 19:27

    When you say it was sluggish was the engine bogging down or was it like a lack of Hydraulic power??.

  2. #2ForsytheBros.2007-11-03 23:50

    Squizzy reply Squizzy- engine rpms maintained at wide open- lack of hydraulic power IMO. thanks

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2007-11-09 03:01

    Takeuchi TL26 sounds like the pilot controls are by passing(new rebuilding/repacking) I also have this same machine and I have to brag on it, its the strongest machine for its size I have been on. I had a Case 1840 and I put steel tracks over the wheels, thats better than just wheels but doesnt compare with rubber tracks, little off the subject though.

  4. #4Willis Bushogin2007-11-09 03:14

    Takeuchi TL26 question for my Takeuchi TL26, Last week I was using the new grapple root rake(boy its nice) after about 7 hrs work the engine seem to be missing, lack of power and slow Hyds. I did the usual thing, change fuel filter, same thing. I took it to the dealer and after $493.00 they told me they thought the foot control for the grapple was sticking. well what can I say it worked when I picked it up. I worked it about 4 days and it did it again, I babied it to finished that job. Next day cranked it up ran all day, no probelem. Today after about 4 hrs it started missing again (Note: I havent used the grapple, since the first time, using the bucket moving dirt only) I had to shut it off to talk to a customer and it started up and didnt miss the rest of the day. I am a pretty good mechanic, but this has got me scratching my head :Banghead

  5. #5Fishfiles2007-11-09 07:03

    Take e out e Did you look for a screen in the banjo fitting on the inlet fuel line on the bottom of the lift pump

  6. #6Squizzy246B2007-11-09 07:45

    If this problem occured just after you changed the fluids then I think its time to look at the hydraulic filter...wether its the right one, maybe its a dud and has collapsed. Are you sure its the right oil??. I'm not real familiar with the TK but does the hydraulic system have a pickup strainer?. Maybe the tank was full of crap from the previous owner?

  7. #7ForsytheBros.2007-11-09 18:02

    Are you sure its the right oil??. I'm not real familiar with the TK but does the hydraulic system have a pickup strainer?. Maybe the tank was full of crap from the previous owner? Squizzy- intersesting that you make that point. Pickup strainer was going to be next thing investigated, i believe. Additionally, local rental outfit mentioned that they were using engine oil on this series of machines in lieu of hydraulic fluid. I don't know if that was in this machine or not, but does that seem reasonable to you guys? Have you heard of making a substitution of engine oil in hydraulic systems? I'll admit i'm dumb on that issue...... thanks to all for the replies!

  8. #8skata2007-11-09 19:08

    the newer gehl/takeuchi/mustang track loaders use engine oil for the hydraulics. 10w30 in the newer ones and 15w40 in the older ones. they switched to the lighter oil(10w30) so that it would flow better in cold weather.

  9. #9Willis Bushogin2007-11-09 19:43

    Thanks Skata, I will check on this, but I have had this about a year and never had any problems, it started the day we put the grapple on, but it was the end of the day. Just like today, it happened 4 or 5 times today, I would cut it off and it corrected the issue for a while. I use 68 hydraulic oil Still stratching my </.:"' head on this one:Banghead

  10. #10Willis Bushogin2007-11-09 19:49

    Tl26 Thanks a bunch, I will check on it

  11. #11Squizzy246B2007-11-10 02:59

    For my Cat Skid the manual lists Cat DEO, which is 15W40 engine oil, for the hydraulics. We have problems with US stuff shipped out here with straight 10W or 30W hydraulic oil. In the summer heat, the hydraulics fade something shocking until you change to 15/40 or a dedicated 68W hydraulic fluid. Both Cat and Mustang here will give you 15/40 for your skid hydraulic system because its what the manufacturer tells them to use in our temperature range. Despite what some will tell you its perfectly acceptable to adhere to the manufacturer's specifications! ON early TK mini excavators a small screen was fitted on the hydraulic pick up at the tank. The rubber suction pipe to the pump used to pick up a lot of heat from its proximity to the engine. When the screen became a bit restricted the operator would complain of a lack of hydraulic power. With a cover removed you could check it easy with the machine hydraulics operating....the rubber suction pipe would start to collapse as the pump drew oil. I believe the newer ones actually have a proper suction strainer inside the bottom of the tank as do most mini-ex these days.....as do most Excavators for that matter. I'd go for the pick-up problem next but ensure you are using an oil that meets the manufacturer's specs. After that its time to have the pressures checked under load.

  12. #12WITJR_492007-12-22 23:52

    Tl-26 Can anyone tell me what is the smallest truck I can move my Takeuchi TL-26? Would it be best to use a trailer or a small flat bed truck Thanks for your help Wit

  13. #13Willis Bushogin2007-12-23 10:30

    Tl26 This may not help much, but we move ours with a Ford F350 dually and a gooseneck trailer. I would recommend using a trailer, I think a 3/4 ton truck may pull it. WHATEVER you do remember this, if the combined weight is over 10,000 lb (truck, trailer, and machine) you need to have the truck licensed for the weight and a CDL license. I maybe off on some of these stuff, but I learned the hard way a few weeks ago. Using the same truck, I was using a friends 10 ton gooseneck, to pickup the new Fecon machine (13,000 lb) I have never been stopped and checked until that day. 15,000 lb over weight, no federeal inspection on the truck and trailer, no fire ext., no flares, no break away device, on trailer. Other than that is was a good day. Had to hire a trucking co. to come pickup the Fecon and the trailer, $400, overweight ticket $1100.00. You see people everyday going up and down the road pulling a Bobcat and for the most part, they are legal, but there is alot that are not legal. There is a bunch of dissicussion about this on other threads. To be honest, I dont think, when I pull my TL26 with my dually, that I am legal. No sure excatly about the weight, but I think the dually weighs around 5500 lb, 14 ton goose neck-around 3500 lb and Tl26 around 7000 lb, so thats over the weigh of 9000 lb that I have the truck licensed for. I just bought a 2 ton single axle truck, that I am converting to a hauler, just to move my TL26 and Fecon machine. I am going to license it for 30,000 lb and that will cost $530.00, I will be legal and more so safe. Hope all this helps in some way

  14. #14WITJR_492007-12-23 13:42

    Tl-26 Thanks Willis, I had no idea of all of that. Well I have to do my home work and get a truck registered just for the transportation of my loader. I do not go around and knowingly break the law. Once again thanks for the info Wit :usa

  15. #15Countryboy2007-12-23 17:44

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums WITJR_49! :drinkup

  16. #16Willis Bushogin2007-12-23 21:50

    Tl26 Well about 2 months later, and a few mechanics working on it and not fixing the problem. One mechanic says hydraulic problem and the other says fuel problem. I was running the machine the other day and it started running rough again, sometimes before I could move the accessory foot pedal and it sometimes would get better, but not now. I changed the fuel filter again, sill same problem, I then removed the fuel line from the tank, good flow, I then primed the fuel filter with the primer pump and when I started it then, it ran ever better than before. I really dont know what I did, there may have been a restriction in the fuel outlet, or the primer pump was not in the right postion, letting fuel bypass or get air. So if anyone has this problem try what I did.

  17. #17WITJR_492007-12-24 10:16

    tl-26 Thanks for the welcome Countryboy :usa

  18. #18WITJR_492007-12-26 23:10

    I have a problem with tl26 I used my Takeuchi TL-26 all day friday. I noticed sometime while operating the loader would not move only made a hissing sound(like fluid was bypassing cylinder. I'd play with the stick and finally it would move I'd push a little more dirt and it would do it again. So I started paying attention to the operation. Then after a few more pushes the loader would not move to the left or right or even back up. After a few minutes it would start back again and everything would operates correctly. The throttle is always wide open. I am new at operating a machine like this. I consider myself a good mechanic. Something is wrong and I am stumped with this :Banghead Can anyone give me a clue on this Witjr_49

  19. #19Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-06 11:03

    It sounds to me like the machine is "dead heading". I would guess your aux hydraulic lever is sticking. The TL26 has a mechanical linkage. I would suggest replacing the cable and linkage. Dead heading will cause your machine to not operate correctly and overheat. Not a good thing. If you have anyother questions call me let me know.

  20. #20BIGBEN20042008-02-06 21:24

    Glad to see a Takeuchi man on board. My new TL130 when it is cold will start up and run for a few seconds and then stall. Even when I glow plug it and bump the throttle up a little it still likes to stall. Could it be that the oil is cold and thick and it is reading low oil pressure for a couple of seconds and it is safety to shut down? It doesn't do it all the time but only when it is really cold. It only has 105 Hrs on it and I haven't called the dealer about it yet since it is not a big problem yet. Also when I say cold I mean only about 10'F degrees or so which isn't super cold but still pretty dang cold.

  21. #21Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-07 08:09

    Yes, it maybe the low oil pressure causing it to shutdown. The light should be on the control panel as well. Also, just to make sure you are using the glow plugs. You have to turn and hold the key to the left and hold it until the glow plug light goes off. That is different than alot of machines which you put to the acc position. If it is really cold I would suggest doing it twice. See if that helps.

  22. #22BIGBEN20042008-02-07 08:16

    Yea I will try the twice method. Also the reason I think it is the low oil pressure is like you said it is on the side control panel and it is still flashing when the engine stalls out. I like the glow plug feater how it is. I like that I have to turn the key back and hold this away they are not being used every day like some manufacturers are. We used to have a New Holland on the farm that every morning even in the summer you would turn the key on and wait for the glow plugs. Just seemed like it was wearing them out faster then normal.

  23. #23Mendo2012-02-27 18:14

    I'm experiencing similar difficulty with a TL26 (TL26-2, 4JB1, Zexel injection pump). Any tips on locating the fuel shut off solenoid? I was expecting to find it inline with the injection lines, but nothing found. Thanks in advance for any help.

  24. #24chrisw21_20002012-02-28 10:01

    The tl26 and 126 uses a varible displacement piston pump. If you run it dry for a second it scars up the assembly. It has a valve that lets fluid fill it but if not mistaking it will nor refill if running. So if you drain the system its best to refill the pumps before restarting to avoid damage. Mine blew a hose of the drive motor and I had to repair my pump by truing up the plates and piston assembly. It's likely that you have done this to yours if it won't pull correctly. That or the pilot pressures are off and/or the seals on the servos are bad. Mine will push about anything at quarter to half throttle. I have a 99 tl126 with 2500 hrs.

  25. #25chrisw21_20002012-02-28 10:07

    On the right side (if you were sitting in the seat) with the cab up, its under the air box towards the bottom of the machine. It's a linear acutator type solenoid. You can pull the cut off and kill the engine if need be. Common problem is to keep running when key is off. Most likely in the pile of wiring beside the pump. The solenoid can be checked with an ohm meter with it unplugged it should read low resistance. Say less than 20ohms I believe.