5409 "Travel motor sensor 1 error (break in the wiring)" Travel motor 1 is the left (driver's side). Unplugging the sensor yields the same code. The motor must be unbolted and tilted out of the frame to access the sensor. I've changed the sensor, and made a breakout harness, near the travel motor. I verified that red is 5v supply, black is chassis ground, and white is signal. The code is active when not moving. As soon as travel is started (in either direction), the code goes inactive. As soon as travel is stopped, the code goes active. The signal is 0.3v when stopped between reluctor teeth, and 4.0v when stopped above a reluctor tooth. No amount of wire tugging, ecm tapping, heat or cold, will affect the status of the code. Im at wit's end with this. There are quite a few mentions on the web of this issue, but, alas, no listed resolutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Factory sensor or aftermarket. Lots of aftermarket junk out there. Did you try disconnecting wires at ECM and load testing each individual wire, with a 4 amp bulb. Since you have access to harness at motor end,(at least up to that point). Is there a connector anywhere in between?
OEM sensor. Saw no change. Load tested the 3 wire to the 24pin connector under the seat. I still have to check from the 24 pin connector under the seat to the ECM.
If all checks out to ECM, is there possible damage to trigger wheel, missing tooth. I don't think a multimeter would catch a missing tooth. Need a scope of some sort to see a drop out. Could also be terminal pin fitment.
I scoped the sensor. It's consistent. No dropout. The rub is that it only codes when stationary, whether I stop it on or off a tooth. As soon as the travel motor moves, the code goes away. Stop moving and it returns. There is no operation theory available, but, I have to wonder if the ECM is confused and thinks the travel is requested, via one of the variable pilot sensors on the hydrostatic pump. So, since travel is signaled, via a pressure sensor, and the motor sensor is not pulsing, it throws the code.
Sounds plausible, So in other words, your sensor and wiring are all good, and you have a glitch giving a false code. I have seen issues with 5v ref signals, that are tied to other components, that share the same 5v ref, going bad and triggering unrelated codes. If you have wiring diagrams, and can see what else shares 5v, unplug it and see if you see a change. Don't know your machine that much, is there joystick re-calibration, that could be an issue?
Read this whole problem and think it would be cheap to test the harness and have the power to feed the bulb , monitored ( watch how much current is operating the 4 amp bulb ) in case the harness is damaged somewhere. Arny's post number 6 would be worth looking at the joystick also. Will be watching. Simon C