It seems to be coming from the gasket, is that common or should I just plan on replacing the whole pump?
I would suggest that you check very carefully that the leak is not coming from the weep hole at the bottom of the pump housing (indicating a failing shaft seal or bearing) rather than a leaking joint behind the pump.
if that’s turns out to be the case, is it just a matter of replacing the pump or do I have a block issue on my hands? I ended up just buying a pump anyway because as long as I have it off I figured I might as well just replace it…
As high up as that is make sure it’s not the head that is leaking. Generally though, the pump is usually the culprit. Very rarely will a water pump gasket just start leaking, without a damn good reason. Check coolant level and quality. Hoses will start leaking, when aging or
Everything was checked and good to go, used it to clear some snow and 10 mins in, the temp light came on, shut it off immediately and seen the leak.. ordered all the parts including new hardware and all my fingers are crossed.. don’t have any reason to suspect the head but can’t really tell without tearing it apart..
Maybe tearing everything apart first and decide exactly what’s going on rather than just randomly firing the Parts Cannon would be a better option.?
Were you by chance, using a block heater?
Would be good once you have it changed to make sure after refilling the radiator and running a bit, that you recheck the top radiator with it level. Never check the level from the overflow bottle. Simon C
Your absolutely right on that..
No.. Why?
Just curious. On one of my machines, using the block heater creates enough heat and pressure to escape the radiator cap and run to the overflow bottle. I see a little green on the floor and check all hose clamps. The block heater creates enough noise, I can hear it 10’ away.
finally had time today to tear into it and it turns out, it was the gasket and the 2 O rings.. they were on the brittle side.. cleaned all the surfaces and reinstalled everything, added all fresh coolant and she runs like a top now.. Bonus… my heat is even working better..