Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

To buy or not to buy

cuttin edge ยท 2022-01-20 13:40

We have 1 rubber tire backhoe left at work. A 2001 New Holland 675E Never had a steady operator, so never really looked after. Serviced, but not a lot of grease. Front and rear bucket pins in bad shape. Typical Ford plastic hood cover damage. Was used to load salt, so top of hood is rotted. All good windows, brakes, 4 good tires, rear ones are new.. Front planetary on one side rebuilt. Not really sure of the hours. This fall it caught fire in the cab in the main wiring harness. It's toast. melted the plastic cover. It will run, but no other functions. If I could get it cheap enough, would it be worth it, or a nightmare. I think they ordered the parts for it, probably expensive. Not planning on putting it to work, just more or less for personal use.

Replies13
  1. #11693TA2022-01-20 13:51

    New Holland construction equipment is not well supported around here at all. The implement dealers do not have access to the parts for anything larger than a skid steer, or mini excavator. Last year I visited a farmer when delivering a new skid steer and he had a NH backhoe he'd purchased new but out east someplace before relocating back "home". He no longer has the tractor selling it for lack of support around here. A county road crew purchased two New Holland small dozers and they no longer have them either. I see the same crews working but they now have different machines but have not spoken with them.

  2. #2cuttin edge2022-01-20 14:35

    We had a huge New Holland dealership here for a lot of years. He sold a ton of farm machinery, then got into construction equipment as well. We had, meaning the company, 4 NH backhoes, 4 different loaders, and a big old 450 excavator. He got into financial trouble, and went out of business. He went too far with the service thing, and lost his shirt. He was the kind of guy that if your hay bailer broke while you were haying, he would send you a new one while yours was getting fixed. He carried the warranty on the 450 excavator 4 years past the day it ran out because it was such a piece of junk. His brother was the parts guy, and when they went under, he went to another dealer, and still gets NH parts for us through Case New Holland. Just wondering what kind of nightmare all that wiring would be. It burnt the fuse panel, relays, and a whole mess of wire. I didn't talk to our parts guy, but the word is that they bought a new harness.

  3. #3crane operator2022-01-20 14:36

    Load salt and wiring fire, either one of those are a strike out in my book. Both on the same machine? It would have to be really really cheap, and really even then- while you could fix the wiring, rust never sleeps. It wouldn't be for me.

  4. #4Delmer2022-01-20 17:44

    I'd do it if the price matched what needed it for. The salt and rust will slow to imperceptible if you pressure wash the rust off and coat it with fluid film. I wouldn't be too worried about the electrical fire, if there's no harness, or other major components are ruined, then come up with a custom solution. If it was a 2010, or a crane or some other equipment, then no, a custom wiring job probably wouldn't work, 2001 I bet I could do it and be happy with it.

  5. #5cuttin edge2022-01-21 00:22

    I don't believe it has a computer. I would have to look closer at it. I kinda peeked in the door when I parked my loader this morning. I could see the melted mess. Plus the smell. I'm not even sure if they would sell it to me. One of the other guys bought the 99 a couple years ago. For 20 grand, he got the machine, second rear bucket, and an angle snow pusher with the box sides. Said he spent about 2800 on 4 new tires last year, and about 5000 on the front axle. As far as the salt goes, salt is a fact of life here in winter. I just got home from hauling snow, and my personal half ton is pure white with salt. I don't know, it's just a thought.

  6. #6djordje12022-01-21 06:23

    This New Holland backhoe may be same as Fiat Hitachi FB100, FB110 I can find you parts manuals of Fiat-Hitachi to see are they simillar same

  7. #7terex herder2022-01-21 13:18

    If you think getting kicked in the 'nads every week is fun, this machine is for you.

  8. #8cuttin edge2022-01-21 19:51

    well my wife likes it rough. Keep in mind, I don't intend to pay a lot for it. I don't plan on putting it to work. I don't really need it. I will probably plow my driveway, and I have some future landscaping in mind. I live in an urban area, on a corner lot. I have a large lot for my neighborhood, but I can easily cut my grass with a push mower. This will just be a something to do project.

  9. #9red Squirrel2022-01-21 22:47

    I have a LB110 very strong and dependable machine, for the right price, you can find parts. If you can do your own repairs, go for it.

  10. #10cuttin edge2022-01-22 08:19

    We had a 110, and they sold it. We also had an LB95 and it was stolen off the job site. The 2 675s , and the 110 had the straight boom, and the 95 had the banana boom.

  11. #11Tones2022-01-22 16:04

    If it's a fun thing you want buy a boat(bring out another thousand).

  12. #12cuttin edge2022-01-22 16:37

    Don't have time for a boat, I work construction. When I say I'm expecting to get it cheap, I'm thinking less than ten thousand. I'll look it over next time I'm out to plow, and talk to the boys in the shop to get the lo down. If I decide not to get it, the guy that bought the other one said he'll take it as a parts machine.

  13. #13skyking12022-01-22 16:45

    OK I LOLed. That is particularly rich coming from a guy with "terex herder" for a handle!