Hey guys, Ive been looking at buying a Csae 680 CK backhoe. I will finalize most likely on Monday :beatsme Its a nice looking machine, some broken glass on the cab, some rust but pretty decent overall. It runs and digs good. Only thing is I cant find hardly any info on the 680. There is a ton of info on the 580 and parts listings but the 680 seems scarce. Why?? I always thought that bigger was better? Can someone please explain to me why theres no info and parts avail for this machine. It would be great if you could throw in some links to website and parts suppliers for this machine. I'll post a couple pics here when I figure this out, thanks for the help, B
Case has a parts catalog online: http://www.casece.com/services/NAE/services.asp?RL=NAE&id=33 Note that for the 680ck, if you put a space between "680" and "ck" you get no results. It has to be "680ck". And they weren't nearly as common as the 580s, which is why you'll find fewer of them, and less information about them in general. Bigger isn't necessarily better. It depends on your needs. And, welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!
Hey thanks for the tip Digger and the welcome. As far as the size goes, I live on a rocky hillside and have real driveway problems. My driveway is over 1000' and needs some additional culverts and a crown to it. As it is now when it rains the water drains down the center and it washes out. Some of the rocks I'm going to have to move are tv sized to washing machine size and bigger. I'm a little worried that a smaller machine will tear itself apart, especially if its already welded. Any thoughts on the 680ck? Good machine or not? Flaws? Let me have it guys, thanks
They were not bad machines- but did have enough power to really hurt themselves,. I think one reason they were not as common was price. Tracked Excav. got a lot more per hour- yet these cost almost as much
680 ck I ran one for 16 years for the city.Woun;t go in the dirt. Gets stuck oftin. Case told me you needed 4x4 that year. bI had to put over size tires on front to help. There was no way to lock the rear on ours. But i loved the foot swing.Machine worked grate 4 many a year. Nothing major most of its life. Moter ,trans ,rear all good.Had trouble with the main fuuel feed closing up once. Also brake pancakes. Lotsa luck Jim:drinkup
680 ck Sorry forgot to mention i had to put water in the back tires to help move. Im in S. Florida and everything is sand here,if that not bad enough we have sugar sand which is worse. Jim
Hey Indian347 ! Ya, thanks for that! 16 years wow :drinkup Up here in the Northeast we use calcium in the tires for ballast, I dont think this machine has it (yet). I'm not so worried about getting stuck because this area is all hard gravel and rock, lots of rocks I hope to move some snow with it but will rely mainly on my beater plow truck. I know this machine hes either no brakes or poor brakes. What do you mean by brakes "pancaking" ? I'm not sure weather these are air or hydraulic or manual. I would hope to get some work out of her before I start on the major repairs. Also the main boom drops an inch or so every couple minutes, is this going to be a big problem and how do I fix?
I see what you mean about price. I know its a diesel but what make and size, any ideas? I plan on working her gently and taking my time with the digging in the hard stuff (I hope) and try not to tear itself apart, we'll see
I think I might've run a "ck" model, but that was just to load out a few truckloads of cobblestones. I was pretty green, and the machine was pretty well used up, so that experience wouldn't really be at all insightful here. I did own a couple of 680Gs, and they were great machines. The 580 is much more nimble, but for digging power a good 680 is far better.
680 ck The tractor we had air brakes. The pancakes are what work the brakes. Just like on Semis.The die:usasel was Cummins 4 banger.Never a problem.The brakes can be seen from under the tractor, but i doubt you can replace them that way, but there may b an ajustment. Brakes looked like truck brakes so i'd try outside source befor going to case.The boom droping is one of the valve not holding.Its no spring chicken you know !!. Ours started swining funny where we couldent trust it.WE had a 750 with the same problem from new. Nothing but JUNK.We sold it 3 years later with no time on it !!! Jim=
Thanks for that No spring chicken,.. lmao :drinkup
How much are they asking? I had never heard or seen a 680 until 3 day's ago, makes a 580d look small. The one I seen is for sale it's a 1984 I (I think?) 680H Extendahoe that has only 1200 one owner hours, has heat and A/C even all the doors and windows. I'm in the dozer business and don't really need it but for $20,000 i'm having a hard time not buying it. If anybody's interested I could get some pics. It's a lot better shape than most 4 or 5 year old hoes i've seen, all of the service interval, hours and date are written on a log they placed on the cab post. I don't know the history with the 680 series but if it was a 580d extendahoe i know i'd give $20,000 for it real quick, the guy who has it said no one wanted a bachoe as big as a 680 (weighs 19,000) and if they did they bought a tracthoe.
Hey OK Dirt ! I dont know alot about backhoes. My avail cash for a used machine is 5-8k. Ive seen about 10 hoes around here within this price range that looked workable. I offered this guy 6 and he seemed interested, I wont find out till tommorrow if he'll sell for sure :beatsme It does seem pretty big for joe homeowner but I'm hoping that it will hold together a little better than a beat up smaller machine, we'll see.
model a,b or c? I just went through all the parts listings on the case website and from the pics of where the serial numbers are only the C models have the rops. Is this true in general, can I assume this machine is a C model (and is that a good thing) because it has the rops. I'll try to get the serial numbers some time this week.
680h The 680H I'm talking about has a full enclosed cab.
Thats interesting that someone would put a Cunmmins in the 680, would have liked to see that transplant. 680's early had a couple variations on the brakes so serial numbers and a visit to a reputable Case dealer is in order to find out availability of parts, also there were updates to some brakes involving new backing plates linings and drums so it gets kinda messy finding proper parts, but they were items used elsewhere in the trucking industry so you gotta dig sometimes
Well case and cummings go back. I'm thinking from the mid 80's till 2000 almost all case equipment was cummings powered. If the part number starts with a J change it to a 3 for the cummings number... As for 680's being big, there was one larger and more rare the 780's here is a link to one. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6458061&GUID=62DCBABE57584F8B9E7C759211464A7B Now as for what you plan on doing with it, moving large rocks and trenching are their domains. Not sure about recrowning a driveway, especially a 1,000' of one. If it was my driveway, I'd put in the ditch, culverts, smooth it out, then call a grader in to do the crowning, but each to his own.
This machine is well before the partnership with Cummins took place and should have the Case built engine, If it is a C model I believe it had the 301 direct injection engine. While it has some similarities with Cummins design it is most certainly Case built, I have been through the engine facility at Racine where the Case engines were built and it was an impressive facility. The Later 680's as you rightly stated I'm guessing maybe the K series? used the Consolidated Diesel engine which was a joint owned effort between Case and Cummins which it is my understanding has now ended. While there are many similarities in design the new M series engines are Iveco designed. Mel
NOT TO BUY its a CASE caint attempt serious excavation caint afford somthing else dont do it man ointhead
Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Ive made arrangments to buy the machine I'm really looking forward to this! Another thing I noticed about this hoe is that the spindles or kingpins (or bushing) are worn badly and front wheels toe out. I'll keep them wet with grease till I can get them fixed. I guess I'll play around with it for a day or so and then start going through it and changing filters, oils, cleaning ect. My driveway is pretty bad so I think that any filling and backblading will be an improvment Ideally I guess the grader and roller with knitpack would be best I'll take some photos so you guys can see what I'm doing. I got to buy some culvert sections. I spent a couple grand on the driveway last year and its already washed away so I figured the backhoe would be a better investment. I can also do some wood, push snow, landscaping, they come in pretty handy moving stuff.
Didnt buy it I went down there with the low bed and was ready to bring the ol girl home. It ran great, hyd good, seemed real good except brakes. Went to load it on the low bed and it wouldnt drive up the ramp. I was so bummed. I guess the next hoe I look at I'll have to try a drive power test like push a tree over or something. She just didnt have the sack to go up the ramp. I dont know if the torque convertewr was smoked or what:Banghead The machine wheeled around good on flat ground just doesnt like hill, no good for me, So I'm still looking. Thanks for all the help!
Does that thing have a range transmission .... did it actually slip , or just lug down , if it even started nd run , in low range it should have had no problem loading, just my opinion
Hi IH, by range trans, do you mean hi/lo? I tried all gears. I also had the truck driver give it a shot, hes pretty good with many different kinds of equipment. The motor didnt bog down it just went up about a foot and then no more. I could have pushed it up onto the trailer with the hoe but at that point I just got this sinking feeling like I was making a horrible mistake ointhead I agree it should have no problem loading and it did so thats why I left it there. I'm looking at a John Deere today, supposedly it has good power, I'm going to put it through some tests before I buy it. Same money, smaller machine, less fixin more diggin
680ck I do have some used parts for this 680CK for sale and also part manual. [email protected]
I have bought lots of parts from jcmarleau. He has a very good background with Case and has always been honest to deal with. Phil