Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

To buy or not to buy an Allis Chalmer HD5G

Gooseidi ยท 2014-05-23 21:15

This machine is really tempting me. http://southjersey.craig 4 slist.org/grd/441837387.html I recently bought a 2000 New Holland 545D 4x4. My gut tells me to simply put my time and effort into this machine, fix PTO, replace a few lines for the Gannon box, and foremost find a way to adapt a Ford backhoe to it. On the flipside I have 4 acres to clear, leaving select trees and pulling stumps for the others. The brute force of the track loader would be useful, a few stumps are probably as big as the 545D. Should I go out on a limb and check out this machine or concentrate on making my industrial tractor 100% and just knock out my work in smaller pieces? Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Replies4
  1. #1DMiller2014-05-23 22:24

    If you meant this machine: http://southjersey.craigslist.org/grd/4418373874.html , it is a gamble. This is an early unit, those tracks are far from 50%, the shoes alone are slick and useless save for welding some form of grouser to them and then the chains (rails) may be pretty well used up with no replacements available any more. Some parts are scarce, others non-existent as I own a Allis and fight with that every time it craps out. I would stick to what I have or rent a newer unit that I could send back if fails.

  2. #2Gooseidi2014-05-23 22:28

    Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, copy and pasting isn't that easy on my phone, lol. Shame all that work was done to the powerplant. I also have my Trojan 114, it will lift what the New Holland can't. That machine is getting pump and injectors in the next week or two.

  3. #3Snigey2014-05-28 23:09

    I am interested in the 545 if you decide to sell. Thanks, Alan 865-356-3559

  4. #4DMiller2014-05-29 05:16

    Those machines were good little machines in their day, parts availability is killing them now as Allis in general has been gone since mid-80s and FA since the 90s. I am still awaiting the repair head for a Eaton Hydraulic pump for my HD7G, IF I ever manage to get it running and functional yet again I will be selling it while it does so I can get away from working on it more than running it or watching it set awaiting pieces I either have to make or wait on production runs.