The sparyer at the farm had a problem and i heard its poppoff valve in the compresser was leaking so i replaced it after a test run it popped off i wasnt thinking i replaced the governor. I restarted it and ran it wide open for some time it was ok. Later that day i was told they headed for the field and 100 feet from were it was it started popping off. I went to the field and unhooked the hose from the governor at the dryer and every thing was ok. Next day i replaced the dryer couldnt get parts for old one. I ran it at high rpms setting there and every think was ok. They head to the field today and said it was popping off agin. It has a 5.9 cummins
I replaced the out line on the compresser because it had a small leak today. I popped off ones setting in the lot. I then got the ideal to back the regulater off to a 100 or 90. At a little less than a 100 it started popping off bad so i turned the presser up to 125 and it stopped so i left it at 135. I then checked the line from the dryer to the tank it was clear.
Do you mean the safety valve on the wet tank is unloading, or the dryer is popping off? If it's the dryer purging too frequently, look at your compressor unload valve. Take 100 psi and apply to unload, see if you hear an internal leak. Also, do the same to unload port of dryer. Listen for leaks. If it's the safety valve, make sure signal line from governor isn't ruptured.
Its the popp off in the compresser head. It had popped off so much in the past that it wore out.This thing only has one small tank. I guess i wasnt very clear.
I removed the pop off valve in the compresser head and put a tee in so i could put in a gauge i also put a gauge in the air tank. The head presser went passed 200 and popped off while the tank was around 130psi. I then bypassed the new dryer and the head was at 130 psi as was the tank also. Are both dryers bad?
Possibility that its plumbed in backwards. There is an integral check valve.
I just re read your last addition. Have you checked the signal line from the governor to the dryer. I misspoke about the dryer plumbed backwards, if that was the case, you'd never achieve 130 at the tank. Does the dryer leak through the purge port? We're trying to find what's robbing the unload circuit keeping the compressor building.
The dryer dosent leak it purges like it should. I rechecked the plumbing on the dryer thinking it wasnt wright but it was wright.The small line from the dryer is clear and dosent leak.
And the correct ports are used at the governor? RES EXH UNL ?
Yes but if they were wrong wouldnt that cause other problems.
If RES and UNL are swapped, it will never unload
When it dosent pop off it works like it should.
I guess that points at the governor
What ever is going on it is working ok with out the dryer. I may try to look at it agin tomorrow.
I say D2 governor, as well. Might be something weird going on with the replacement. I re-read the whole post and I don’t see anyone mentioning if you have tried adjusting the governor? Take the plastic cap off and turn the adjusting screw out a few turns.
Turning out gives higher pressure, turning in lowers. It works backwards.
Yes, or course. Good catch. Thanks.
Sounds like it’s at the dryer. Did you move the old fitting to the new dryer . If so is one of them restricted.
Is this a holset compressor or bendix tu-flo?
I replaced all the fittings to bigger ones because the new dryer had 1/2 npt the old was 3/8 npt. Sorry but you did a bad job of re reading i have ajusted it several times. I went back and looked to make sure the lines on the govener was hooked up wright they were.
Is there an alcohol injector canister on it?
Holset comps require a goofy bypass at the dryer, that's why I ask.
I think this problem has been going on for some time. I got to thinking about the govener lines last night and about drove the 20 miles to check them i know i checked before but i was thinking back to when we but a engine in it some years ago. It was a rush job with 4 mechanics 1 boom truck operater and one general go get it guy. I thought ho put the lines back on and how did they know but today i pulled the line off the govener and the dryer and blow throw it then i plugged one end and made sure i couldnt blow through it.
it has the little bypass line on the bottom of the dryer. Holset
No
So which style do you have? Cuz you're obviously set up for holset.
Its the little single cylinder with a valve on the front air intake that the govener mounts to.
Then it should all be correct. I'm gonna look , I have a generic air diagram, I'll see if I can find it.
It's a long read, but the principle is the same. Hope it helps