Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

To Paint it or Not????

mudober ยท 2012-05-13 08:13

Hello all, I have a 1968 J621 that i used to build my pond and fill in some draws. Now I am trying to sell it and was wondering what others have experienced with the outcome of repainting an old machine like this be it a dozer or whatever. I know it wont make it haul anymore dirt than it does now. So do you think it is worth the money to repaint it? Thanks for your input.

Replies20
  1. #1joispoi2012-05-13 08:48

    Do you have a picture that you can post?

  2. #2GroundWorks2012-05-13 09:28

    Personally, I'd stay away from anything that was given a quick paint job just to sell it. I've seen what paint can cover up (hide), I'd sooner look at the real deal. Scratches and wear marks happen, it's a part of the machine's life!

  3. #3mudober2012-05-13 09:28
  4. #4DPete2012-05-13 10:11

    Looks pretty straight I vote sandblast & paint, you realize painting is the easy part, the prep is where the work is. If you can do it yourself it will be worth it IMO.

  5. #5stock2012-05-13 10:21

    Spraying her wouldn't do her justice as it would be just a lick and a promise. She will sell better as she is as anyone buying her won't be looking at the paint..................... She is what I would term as an honest and original machine..........

  6. #62stickbill2012-05-13 12:14

    I run from new paint jobs on old equipment.Found to many trying to cover up whats wrong with it.I feel better when I scratch an unpainted machine too.

  7. #7millingman2012-05-13 12:25

    If you do paint, don't do it cheaply. Sandblasting her first would be a must. Otherwise it'd look like you were covering her problems. You may not get the money back you put into painting her properly.

  8. #8JGS Parts2012-05-13 12:40

    mate dont paint it, when i look at machinery if its old and been painted i wont go near it

  9. #9sheepfoot2012-05-13 12:51

    Take lots of pic's around with a date and time before cleaning, then if you want, go for it. If paint matters to the buyer,they may pay more, offer as is with a paint option. Some machine's max out like they are and prep and paint will cost you time and money and lower your take. It's alot of work like said.

  10. #10stock2012-05-13 13:07

    Dangerous road to embark on, your level of detail may differ greatly from the purchaser they may not want a car finish and not want to pay or on the other hand their expectation of finish may be high but not willing to pay for it..........................................................

  11. #11John C.2012-05-13 14:54

    Put your money into fixing any leaking hydraulics and cracks. The biggest hit item to purchasers of those machines is the tires anyway. Good Luck!

  12. #12mudober2012-05-13 20:09

    Wow!!! Thanks for the great feedback guys. Really cool to here from people around the world. I have fixed the major problems and leaks and now the machine is much better than when i got it. I just had the seat redone so now you don't have to sit on a towel. I will now focus more on the mechanical side of things and no longer waste my time thinking about painting it. I plan on coming down on my asking price and i will let a new owner worry about painting it if they chose too. It would be sad to see it go to scrap like so many of these old dogs have. I hope I will find her a nice new home.

  13. #13Scrub Puller2012-05-13 21:54

    Yair . . . Man that old Jay looks straight . . . is she working in that first pic or was it all set up and posed (I dunno if I see heat haze coming out the stack or not) most times those old girls blew a bit of black stuff . . . if she was working then the old V8 is running pretty good. And I'm with majority of the the other blokes, I certainly wouldn't paint it, just a pressure wash or steam clean and present her in all her glory. They were an honest old machine. Just out of curiosity what would she be worth . . . or rather what would she sell for in the U.S.? Cheers.

  14. #14JDOFMEMI2012-05-13 21:59

    I don't know about Illinois, but here in Kalifornia, it is worth what it weighs times what scrap is selling for, it doesn't matter how well it runs. That would be about $10,000 to $11,000. That is how it is here due to the combination of the CARB rules and the general lack of any work to use it on anyway. I hope the market for it is better there where you live. It is a shame to watch all of our older iron meet the scrappers torch.

  15. #15dirty2012-05-13 22:09

    nice no paint

  16. #16dirtmonkey2012-05-13 22:26

    :IMO leave it like it is. I've seen too many one coat " overhauls " if you know what I mean. :badidea. I prefer to see it like it is :my2c

  17. #17RNI Excavate2012-05-13 23:28

    Where abouts are you located mudober? Dont see too many others from so. il. on here.

  18. #18mudober2012-05-14 07:51

    I am near Harmony, IL RNI. I work out of local 520. I will try and get an add posted on here soon so keep an eye out for it. That is a working picture of me stripping top soil so i could later place some clay fill in there to level up the draws for my new Ultralight landing strip.

  19. #19Willis Bushogin2012-05-14 20:53

    i buy and sell lots of stuff/equipment/trucks/etc 90% of the time, they need painting and I get it at a good price. Depends on what it is, but most of the time I paint it and charge the paint price +? As stated the paint job on a big machine like this, may over price the machine, where you can make a profit. Boy I would hate to know I had to blast and paint that monster myself. Im thinking $4000+ for sand sweeping, priming and painting I would pressure wash it and let it go GoodLuck

  20. #20JDOFMEMI2012-05-14 21:03

    I think you are right about the cost to paint it up right. $4,000 on an old machine like that would be money well wasted. You will not add that much value to it. I learned this lesson the hard way on an 824B. Mine with $3,500 worth of paint sold for the same money as ones that looked just like the 621 pictured.