Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

To truck or not to truck?

Justin ยท 2011-12-15 13:27

So here is my problem, the job I am going to is right over the mountain from the one I am on. There is a 4-wheeler trail over the mountain. The trail is around five miles to the next job. The other way to the job is by way of a county road(25 miles), then to a dirt road that is around seven miles. I have three peices of equipment to move. If I go over the mountain I would have to cut a road on top of the 4-wheeler trail. There is no way to get paid for putting in a road on top of the trail, so it would be all my expense, and time. And the other way with the dirt road would mean roading all three peices the seven miles of the dirt road. The equipment I have to move is a dozer, skidder, and fellerbuncher, if it was not on a side hill I would just drive it all there, but it is steep and nothing will fit on the trail. So what would you guys do? I still have not decided.

Replies6
  1. #1da'yoop2011-12-15 14:15

    Just my opinion.....but I'd go around. Sucks, but with you paying the expenses for cutting a road plus wear on the equip to do it......I'd go around and be done with it.

  2. #2tonka2011-12-15 17:50

    Depending on the amount of road you have to put in, i'd go over the top of the 4x4 trail, it would be around 300 in fuel and your time. But 3 peices of equipment to move will run you what 1000 bux give or take?

  3. #3Reel hip2011-12-15 18:55

    Have you not incorporated the equipment move on to the price of the next job? I charge move on and move off for my equipment. Have it moved,avoid the wear and tear.

  4. #4Justin2011-12-15 20:05

    The job pays a fixed price, it is a non bid job.

  5. #5jane562011-12-16 00:25

    What this guy said

  6. #6donkey doctor2011-12-16 00:37

    Rule of thumb 12 yrs ago when I took a course on track undercarrage wear and tear was 11 cents per foot to move a track machine. Always move fuel truck to machine not machine to fuel truck. Doubt if cost has gone down in the last 12 yrs. Regards D.D.