Found these pictures this morning from awhile back and busted up laughing, so I figured I had to share. No, it's not me! One of the reasons I got out of moving equipment: " why did you quote me $5/mi and this other guy only want's $2/mi?" Ummmm, because I'm using the proper specialized equipment and I kind of know what I'm doing?
So close.... LOL
Almost there, might as well keep going till she breaks over! Those ramps are good for some things. The attachment points....yeah not so much.
hahaha took the bumper right off.. TO FUNNY.. "Nuthin' a welder wont fix.. just give me a minute & we'll try'r again"..
Kinda looks like the right rear corner of the trailer ended up with a pretty good bend in it too. Probably just bent the aluminum stringers over.
Yes the ramps themselves will carry quite a load. Point of attachment....not so much.
Have not evolved far enough yet to use ramps when loading tracked equipment . Use 7" X "9 wood rail tie ends to block & crawl up on when loading . Cave Man .... LOL ! Aluminum trailer & yellow iron generally don't mix well ....
Not a darn thing wrong with loading track machines over the back onto something that's made for it. Those ramp kits for steps make them into Swiss Army knives for hauling different kinds of freight but they have their limitations. The time I spent hauling equipment was great as I saw a lot of the country (Rural America is the best people, period) & a whole lot of really crazy things.
I saw these on another forum IIRC.
Yep. There was an internet barroom brawl that ensued. Some members were disciplined for not being "nice" about the whole thing. I still say it wasn't the operators fault. The internet is forever. Heh.
In '97 I sold a 977B to a Califlower outfit. Told them to send a 3 axle RGN to pick it up. It had an oversize 4 in 1 bucket, a huge counterweight, a ROPS with sweeps, and a bunch of extra iron welded on as repairs. I estimated 60,000 lbs. Guy showed up with an aluminum drop deck to pick it up and I wouldn't load it, called the buyer and told them again what to send. 3 days later the RGN showed up and took it, an hour later the guy calls me and says it weighs 62,500. The drop deck guy was mad as heck when I chased him off... Lucky for him.
What size is the trailer with the dozer on it I need to find one similar to that to be able to haul our d5h around
25 ton Lacrosse 1951 vintage . 67 years & still going
Nice trailer
It's really worked great for us being it's fairly low slung for a single drop and short length is handy on narrow country roads . Turn in & pull out of some pretty tight spots . Trailer like that would be perfect for moving the Cat D5H . Like the Old Man would say ....... " It aint so much what your hauling " .... " It's mostly where it's going " . Truck & trailer need to be fitted proper for the roads they will haul on . We aint got the best roads One of these day's I'm going to take off & dive out your way Jakebreak . Would really enjoy cruising though Bakersfield California .
@Jakebreak you could get up to Isabella with that trailer, it has to be less than 30' KPRA. They started on the dam yet? I haven't been there in about 6 months.
The way I understand it, they had to take away the "must" in those special KPRA. So now it is just a suggestion. I guess they write you a ticket if you come over the yellow line.
I remember noticing that the sign said "Recommended" the last time I was through Walker Pass & thought that was different. I can't keep the pickup off the yellow line and make any time on the Kern River side that's a twisty snake of a road.
I see what you guys are talking about . Allot of winding curves & long grades . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Pass
I'm hooking the 1974 Pete to the Lacrosse for that trip . Short truck and trailer .
The west entrance to the valley (from Bakersfield) is worse. There's a road (CA-155) out from the place I've got there that goes from 2,600' to 7,400' elevation in 10 miles & really twisty too. I lost the brakes towing a trailer with a motorhome coming down that a few years ago.
I could sure see how the long down grade's could be spooky if something go's wrong .
If you want to be safe, on a grade I don't know or a truck I don't trust, or a real heavy load, I will pick whatever gear requires me to turn off the Jakes or push on the throttle occasionally, depending on the circumstances. This may mean going down the hill very slow, even 20 or 10 mph slow, where cars would like to go full speed. It is embarrassing but not as embarrassing as a crash. Under normal circumstances where I am familiar, I go faster and let the truck run away a bit and snub it back down with brakes occasionally but never so much that they start to smoke or smell or get very warm.
You can go down a steep grade slow time after time. You can go down a steep grade too fast once.
And you don't need a working Jake brake, either. You just have to go down slower. A lot slower.
That's about how we do it when moving on county roads on a downgrade . Get her in the rite gear before descending & keep it about 15 to 20 MPH . Allows you to stop fast if need be .
We have some similar grades here in south Indiana but they not near as long as you guy's have out on the west coast in the mountains . Long downgrade for me might last for a mile or less . Travel this road often . Has it's share of twists & curves . We are getting plenty of rain now if anyone needs any water . Hanging Rock Hill in Madison IN.
Td come on out and bring the trailer with you that pass is rough both of them on the 155 I think they don’t want you longer than 40’ the West entrance is rough just narrow a lot of rocks hanging out they get the campers all the time we could use some more rain crummy I bet that had to be a wild ride our dozer is just 5 miles south of glennville when we do work up there on occasion it can get tricky moving big iron up the mountain but the ole k whooper does good just need to get rid of them super singles up front also td I got a few places to go look at some old iron
I would really enjoy that ! Short truck & trailer will do that job easy ..... See if I can talk the Old Man in to running " Blocker " in the Ford . HeavyEquipmentForums Good blocker is the solution .
Nice car get him to play bandit for you we might be able to find you some iron to take back
I once went into Colorado to pick up a scraper in the Trinidad area, Dot guy at the POE in Grand Junction suggested I could save time by going over Monarch pass to Pueblo... I wanted to shoot him when I got there. I had a Cozad with a 3 axle jeep, a 3 axle lowboy (long) and a 2 axle booster. I swear the trailer rubbed the mountains on some curves, and I ran into a huge herd of cattle being driven on the highway... no I didn't hit them but it sure slowed things down. This was in October, when I got to the pass the snowbanks were already 6' high on the side of the road. Oh, my KT Cummins was gasping for air too, lotsa black smoke. The rest of the trip went well though, From the pass down it was smooth sailing, I loaded out in Trinidad and woke up to 4" of snow, headed north to Denver and got out of it. Had a DOT freakout at the Loveland pass tunnel that took a half hour with a tape measure to fix, Had to love my Colorado pilot car peeps. they were the best.
Another option for a short tractor trailer rig is the old " tilt deck style . Buddy of mine has a Rodgers like this one . I would think something like that would work pretty good for a " Dozer hauler " in mountain country with the short wheelbase . http://www.trailboss.com/inventory/...25tba?dlr=1&pcid=49483&sfc=0&ssc=0&ftr=1&lo=3
I don't think they have gone wide open on it yet I think their are still doing small stuff I haven't been up there since this summer when we were building a new fire station for the forest service
Split boom 750? I have a little bit of time with one those. A friend of mine owned a wrecker outfit in AZ. He owned the doppelganger for yours. Your image brought back a couple very interesting memories LOL!
I'm no truck driver but I was told you should be in the same gear going down as you would be in going up. That advise has served me well so far.
I can’t figure out how to post a you tube video. Look up C.W. McCall Wolf Creek Pass. I grew up and learned to drive in the Colorado and Wyoming Mountains. First hauling cattle and feed. Then figured out that people paid real money to move heavy equipment. Haven’t ever looked back!
I used to run an old GMC with an 8V-71 and no jakes, I'm still alive today because I knew how to drive...
The thing I had to learn is that a truck with no Jakes or broken Jakes looks the same to the 4 wheelers as any other truck that can fly down the same hill at 55 mph. So they get real impatient when you are white knuckling down at 35 or less and start stacking up which adds to the tension and makes you want to go faster and abuse the brakes. I allowed them to get to me, once, the smoke was billowing and the stench was on. Did not lose any braking force near as I can tell but I will not allow myself to be pushed like that again.
Nah. Shift her up into Oklahoma Overdrive and get some momentum for the next climb...
Nah. Just pull the Johnny bar back into your lap 'till the wagon she's a smokin' like a shot down fighter plane. Saves the truck brakes that way.
overdrive is fun till you get through the first mile of a 9 mile 7% and cant drop a gear these western hills are not short and there is a lot of them
That's pretty cool ! Yeah , it's a Holmes 750 bed . Truck has welder , torch & some tools on it . Not that we would ever have a " break down " on a job . GMC truck is set up the same way . Pretty handy all around rigs . HeavyEquipmentForums
They call that lever the O.P.B., short for Other People's Brakes.
That's true on older engines and boom trucks It's and old saying & I agree with it to an extent . Like comparing a 220 Cummins to a 400 . Both are 855 cubic inch and will have similar" hold back" when ya let off the throttle . Yet the 400 will climb a grade faster in a taller gear then the 220 .
Buddy sent me this this morning. WAY off route (like 100's of miles), no doubles/triples endorsement:
We just had a fatal truck accident here in Peoria. An oversize combine on a lowboy hit an overpass and it ripped off the top of the hopper. The debris hit a pickup following the trailer and the driver eventually died. Clearance was 14'3". The driver was supposed to take the bypass around the city, but he tried to cut through town. http://www.week.com/story/37946729/victims-family-says-i-74-pinecrest-overpass-needs-to-be-safer
Ouch!!!! Crummy, Looks like the damage will take a while to fix unfortunately... http://fox17.com/news/local/code-re...-40i-65-loop-in-nashville-expect-major-delays
Rolled the blocks off the beam too. That's a really hard hit or not enough securement for that to happen.
Looks like they made it under 4 beams before the truck ran over a penny in the road and snagged #5.
Used to have nightmares about that call... never got it fortunately.
I used to know a can hauler out of the Port of Seattle that subscribed to that theory as a operational parameter on Stevens and Snoqualmie.
Ooh .. Looks like a NEW 773E Cat (railings on pallet) . Too bad for the person waiting for the new hauler. I know I would be disappointed to hear my new truck is stuck under a bridge.
Better Monarch than Wolf Creek. Monarch is a little squirrelly from the top down to Salida would keep your attention at 100 feet long, not as bad from Montrose to the Top. Wolf Creek is something to behold... holding your camera standing beside your pickup and quoting C.W. McCall "My ain't this pretty up here!"
I've been through "Downtown Pagosa Springs" VIA Wolf creek pass on vacation in 1994 in my old (new then) Dodge Cummins dually with camper onboard. I would not want to take a lowboy on that route. I have also flown into the Pagosa Springs airport in a King Air 90 and that runway has a huge hump in the middle that makes landing a medium heavy a bit of a challenge.
I've been up and down Wolf Creek with my 13 axle years ago. It's a slow trip up and down....give you time to enjoy it It was summer time so the drives were nice and hot. I was pulling the oil up out of the asphalt as I went back down on the jakes towards Pagosa Springs. Highway 50, the loneliest road, has some killer pulls on it and coming into Austin westbound there's a nifty little switchback
Its definitely one of the reasons I sold the heavy haul business 10 yrs ago. Drivers with step decks were buying 5/mi loads for 2/mi or less. Brokers were constantly looking for SD/W RAMPS would not even consider an RGN.
Born and raised Gunnison CO also hauled hay and livestock as a young man been doing heavy iron out of Denver for 40 yrs sold out years ago now retired
Wait till the insurance company gets the bill for the bridge. LOL
Does anyone remember Wolf Creek pass back in the 60's when CW McCall originally wrote that song? There were switchbacks on the west side so tight you would be hard pressed to negotiate with todays long trailers
Remember the town you went through between Montrose and Salida I.E. Gunnison CO? Born and raised learned to drive big truck there. I must say you learn things much differently than learning down on flat land.
Did that going west on I70 coming off Vail Pass jakes failed bad idea still didn't get it shut down for another 20 miles was grossing 135,000 lbs. Hard to stop to begin with. At least I was blessed with little traffic and no major curves! The last tractor and trailer I speced out and purchased before I retired had disc brakes. They cost an additional 20 grand per axle, 4 axle tractor 2 axle trailer with 2 axle booster, that 160 thou extra but well worth it if you run the high country. They never give up nomatter what you do.
Amen to that!